Bulb wattage

Tyler

Alright, so I have the Morrette style headlights, and my low beams have the projector lens. Now, with the standard H3 bulb, these are very dim, almost too dim to drive with. Looking on Ebay, I found some of the OSRAM silverstars in different wattages. My question is, is there a legal limit on how bright my lights are? Would the 100w bulbs be too bright for low beam lights? How about 70w? Also, it says they will need the relay kit upgrade for the 100w bulbs, and I have these little black box things that I believe are ballasts or something attached to my lights ... would this be the relay they are talking about, or is this something special for HID lights, as it said when I got the lights that they were compatible with the HID kits that you can get? And one more question, the 70w bulbs are 24v where the 55w and 100w are both 12v, so will I need a specific one, or could I possibly use either?

So .. to conclude ...

is there a legal limit on how bright my lights are?

Would the 100w bulbs be too bright for low beam lights?

Would the 70w bulbs be too bright for low beam lights?

Would I need the relay kit, or do I already have what I need?

Do I need to stick with 12v or would a 24v bulb work?

Thanks

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
70W and stick with 12v

But if you want to go the right way, you can order up some real projectors from http://www.rallylights.com and re-fit them in the housings you have. Then you will be able to get a really good beam out of that setup.

mikebike357

i thought that if you went way higher than stock on the wattage you run the risk of melting the wiring harness? True or false?

R

redlinerally

True. I did that once on my fog lights... too much draw on too small of a wire...

You need a bigger guage for higher wattage. Unless, of course, the wattage is close to what you currently have. This 'projector' lamps, are they lower (output) than stock?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
the wire guage is typically the same for high and low beams. the High beams are usually 60-80w so there shouldn't be any problem.

Rightseat

running the 100w bulbs puts a heavy load on the stock wiring connectors. The wiring tends to melt at the pigtail where the plug between chassis wiring and the bulb is...don't ask how I learnt this, let's just say I replaced several pigtails before I finally figured out that if you want serious light upgrades, the stock lights are NOT the place to try it. also, the additional heat load generated by the 100w bulbs tends to shorten bulb life substantially, and when they DO fail, be aware that it probably won't be at some time when it's convenient!

we had faux Morettes in one of our rally cars for a while, and they sucked so bad that we went back to the stock headlight units with mildly upgraded bulbs.

DG

Tyler

70W and stick with 12v

But if you want to go the right way, you can order up some real projectors from http://www.rallylights.com and re-fit them in the housings you have. Then you will be able to get a really good beam out of that setup.
Did you mean by the projectors the $981.26 Xenon HID upgrade?
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back