car is messed up still

urabusturbo

last weekend i put in a vf34, wrx top mount, sti motor mounts, and a big downpipe. Before this my car was having an issue where it was only running wastegate boost and was very slow. After all the new stuff went on it was runnig much better but still having wierd isues. withen the first few minutes of running the car will be smooth and it rips faster then anything i have ever driven. but after a little bit it starts to act sputtery and i need to be careful where i keep the petal. i cant find any vaccume leaks and it seems to be fine at times. im not sure if its an air or fuel thing, but its random and very annoying. if someone around portland wants to drive it lmk. i need this to work well

Rightseat

sounds like your turbo upgrades are confusing your ECU

adding all that stuff means you need ECU upgrade and/or tuning

what ECU you running?

EvilAsPie

Did you upgrade your fuel pump?

Also check IC piping. Frankenstein setup are known for having leaking issues.

urabusturbo

i think its just something telling the ecu to mis-behave. at times the car is running mint and it is absolutly bannanas so i wanna rule out leaky ic piping, its frankenstien style but its also pretty genious and tight. the cel has been off and on for a while and it has these symptoms regardless of the light being off or on. The turbo xs blow off valve is WAY too loud by the way, if somone has a stock re-circ i would love to snag it.

Rightseat

i think its just something telling the ecu to mis-behave.
more likely, it's the ECU telling the engine to misbehave. you changed and added a bunch of stuff, which the ECU may need help deciphering.

what ecu are you running?

urabusturbo

Picture348-1.jpg

ghetto-tastic

Picture341.jpg

old vs new

Picture349.jpg

all done

Rightseat

your build looks decent, now you're onto the R&D part of the project

pix of the 2 turbos tells the tale

new turbo is so much bigger, the ECU needs guidance on how to deal with it, or add'l capacity/features to cope

bunch of options

--reflash stock ecU

--accessport, aka piggyback upgrade to stock

--standalone engine management--Link, Hydra, etc

if ecu isn't talking well with your new hardware, that's a recipe for blowing things up

EvilAsPie

I wonder how much difference it makes running a BOV rather then a BPV given the age and upgraded parts in the thing.

But it all looks so strangely familiar.
default_smile.png

How did the IC fit for you. I had to pound on the firewall some and i think i am going to need to shave/trim a little of the IC or TB. Also how tall is your clutch reservoir?

Legacys... :
default_biggrin.png

Rightseat

can somebody remind me on exactly what kind of car we're talking about here, sorry I can't remember what every STm er is driving 8)

um, wait...it's a 1st-gen Legacy turbo conversion, correct?

what block, what ecu etc

urabusturbo

sounds like your turbo upgrades are confusing your ECU

adding all that stuff means you need ECU upgrade and/or tuning

what ECU you running?
i am running hte stock ecu, i have tired re setting it with no luck. I feel like the car can run fine witht his ecu because at times its perfectly normal.

the intercooler was tricky to make fit. we cut off a bit of the underside of the hood/firewall and the intercooler itself. it rests on top of a stock resevior. i could barely fit a little foam chunk between the ic and firewall to stop the rattle

urabusturbo

can somebody remind me on exactly what kind of car we're talking about here, sorry I can't remember what every STm er is driving 8)

um, wait...it's a 1st-gen Legacy turbo conversion, correct?

what block, what ecu etc
its a 92 sport sedan auto converted to manual with about 20 or so different subies contributing miccellanious parts. mostly stock besides vf34 and whatnot

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Is it sputtery all the time after it's warm, and only fine when cold? Or does it come and go, even fully warmed up?

Rightseat

i am running hte stock ecu, i have tired re setting it with no luck. I feel like the car can run fine witht his ecu because at times its perfectly normal.
that's my point...the stock ecu can handle the extra hardware PART of the time, but not under all conditions. maybe it's under certain engine temps or load or fuel curve that it's OK, other times it's obviously unhappy...but not as unhappy as you'll be if it blows up. if you hear ANY pinging (detonation, a rattly sound under boost) you are playing with fire.

simple fact is, when you upgrade turbos, intercoolers, etc, you have to upgrade emgine management as well to take full advantage and run things safely..

you've done the research -- what parts fit, how to adapt them to your situation), now you got to do development -- what works, what doesn't, then find out why...then fix it.

go to nasioc.com and search the tech forums under the "non-factory turbo" heading, somebody has figured all this stuff out before you and can save you a bunch of hassle and blown-up Scooby bits.

urabusturbo

Is it sputtery all the time after it's warm, and only fine when cold? Or does it come and go, even fully warmed up?
it comes and goes still warmed up. there is no apparent pattern to it but it runs great maybe 1/4 of the time. These issues seem to make the car sluggish and sputtery but there has been no signs of impending doom to the motor. anyone smarter than me in the portland area wanna take it for a spin?

EvilAsPie

She's an old beast. OBDI. Easiest way to control air fuel is the SAFC thingy.

The devil car i bought from Rad has a TD04(that came from LDR), had a JDM slanted IC. And ran fine. Or a least it did till i messed with the FCD. Anyway a good handful of people have run TD04s and TD05s with 02-05 WRX IC up to 12-13 psi with no other mods. The MAF and ECU seam to figure it out ok. Any higher boost you want to run and you have to upgrade the fuel pump, injectors, and then control the fuel/air ratio. Even then the highest you can really go is 17-18psi and then the MAF runs out. Air/fuel on these baby's can be done either with an aftermarket 1:1 raising rate FPR that you can set basic fuel with, or go with the SAFC thing.

Unfortunately i have not seen someone through a VF39 into one of these. Given how a TD04 can work and also run out i would assume a VF39 would be ok, but might run out your MAF faster(lower PSI)....??? i don't know. Did you find a thread somewhere where someone ran a VF39? I would interested to read it.

Are you running stock boost? Also what is the stock boost for an STi with a VF39? Is stock boost in a 92 legacy even enough to make a turbo that big do it's job?

???

urabusturbo

im running stock boost. This turbo is definatly capible of running quite well around 8 pounds and lower pms. i plan on getting a mbc and running around 12 pounds.

patsti

NitrousFed
you need bigger injectors... the sputtering is your car either going into limp mode or just being lean as shit melting valves and pistons and stuff.

get a walbro 190 or 255. and an afpr (or rising rate)

you need bigger injectors... get an safc so you can run these

you are looking at... walbro 255- $90

ebay afpr- $45

injectors- $100-300 (get 440-680)

safc2- $200 (afc 1- $50-$150) i can show you how to use it.

you need this stuff now. sorry to say but you WILL BREAK STUFF!!!!!

I have got a walbro 190 if you want it for $50 (its new) it is good for up to 700cc injectors or so and you prob wont need a afpr with it

urabusturbo

you need bigger injectors... the sputtering is your car either going into limp mode or just being lean as shit melting valves and pistons and stuff.

get a walbro 190 or 255. and an afpr (or rising rate)

you need bigger injectors... get an safc so you can run these

you are looking at... walbro 255- $90

ebay afpr- $45

injectors- $100-300 (get 440-680)

safc2- $200 (afc 1- $50-$150) i can show you how to use it.

you need this stuff now. sorry to say but you WILL BREAK STUFF!!!!!

I have got a walbro 190 if you want it for $50 (its new) it is good for up to 700cc injectors or so and you prob wont need a afpr with it
this is all stuff i was planning on doing, i guess i gotta do it sooner than i thought. I have to loot so if anyone has this stuff i will gladly take it off your hands

Latest posts

Back