clunk clunk.......clunk clunk clunk

Evan

theres a sound i've been trying to figure out with the new car (98 impreza L).

it happens when stopped and when moving (so its not the CV), although it makes a similar sound. kind of a clunk clunk clunk sound, about once every 1/4 turn of the wheel. it happens only in the last steering wheel rotation in either direction. during normal driving its fine, it only comes up during u-turns and such.

any ideas?

PS fluid is up to level.

Rightseat

oooh, now that's a good mystery noise

am also not sure just what you mean by "every 1/4 turn of wheel"

sounds like it's steering-related--subies have lots of caster/camber change at high steering angles, so maybe a tire is hitting a fender liner or bent suspension part. maybe it's the U-joint in the steering column. maybe it IS a CV issue, and it only acts up at high steering angles when the joint is at its most articulated. jack the car so both front wheels are up, turn steering to full lock and wiggle the wheel--if there's play at 3 and 9 oclock, it's probly the tie rod ends; if there's play at noon and six, it's wheel bearing.

maybe it's the stereo, try turning down the music and see if the noise goes away! O0

Evan

its 1/4 turn of the steering wheel. also, if you go all the way to lock in one direction, it will make the car pull somewhat to that side when driving. same with the other direction. but if you stop, go to lock one way, then go to lock the other way, then center, it will drive fine.

i'll jack it up and look at it tomorrow or the next day. it wouldnt surprise me if its the steering rack or something rubbing.

Rightseat

your detailed description sounds almost certainly like the U joint on the steering column is pooched. the clunk is the joint complaining as you put it thru its motions.

might be the steering rack -- a busted pinion tooth or bent rack.

worn tie rods don't clunk (repeatedly), they just let the front wobble or make the steering feel slack.

inski

I've seen a couple bad u-joints in the steering shaft. Look just below the brake booster, find u-joint, hose liberally with a thick spray lube (we use Endura at work, also sell it at Aubuchon) until all sides are thoroughly saturated, then a little more, and work it in by turning the wheel back and forth a milion times. If the noise goes away you know you'll need a new joint in the future.

Best of luck dude.

Evan

bad strut top bearing. the popping noise is the bottom of the strut turning while the top stays put. the coil spring binds up a little bit and then once the binding is too much the strut top 'pops' and turns to match the bottom of the strut. if you lift the car off the ground the noise turns into a creaking noise because of the lower pressure on the spring allowing the strut top to turn more often.

i'm just going to ignore it till i put different springs in.

inski

Spray some lube on that. Use the can w/a straw so you can get up in there, might buy you some time.

SUBARUDE

i'd change it quick cause with that problem i've seen the spring jump out of the spring cup and stab the tire :-[

Evan

how'd bubb rubb get in here?

i have more front strut tops lying around, i just dont feel like putting them in. i've got other things to do.

Latest posts

Back