Clutch Suggestions

inski

I dont know, but I remember seeing it somewhere on the interweb.

I'll be doing more than supervizing. That stuff gets heavy when you're laying on your back. We'll need Ty's grunt power too. How new are your header gaskets? We'll be dropping the exhaust as a hole unit and sometimes the manifold gaskets are too old to re-use.

patsti

NitrousFed
go with a sprung hub whatever you do... I have a stage4 6 puck sprung hub and hd presure plate from competition clutch..they where the best and the cheapest great customer service they will tell you what to get.

RallyGuy24

So with the help of Inski, the new clutch is in. Ty helped too.

Here are the new parts:

Competition Clutch Stage II

ACT Street Lite flywheel

Royal Purple 75w90, gearbox/rear diff

The clutch and flywheel that was removed was a stock component. I bought the car used, and not having driven another RS, didn't really know what a stock RS felt like. There are other simple mods on the car, so I didn't know about the internals (there is a 'customdiffsonlie.com' sticker on the back that was on the car when i bought it) so i am just comparing to how the car felt before the changes.

Ive only driven 40 miles on the new clutch, and have been quite easy on it due to the recommended 250-400 mile break in.

My initial impressions are that the car is a lot easier to drive. Swapping to the lightened flywheel actually smoothed acceleration/deceleration transitions considerably. The car no longer dives when i let off the gas. Not what I was expecting with a lighter flywheel. The clutch engagement is much better. There is quite an obvious engagement point to the pedal, and the actual engagement of the driveline is much quicker.

The changing of the gearbox/diff fluid is also noticeable. Shifting is improved in general, but I seem to be clunking just a little bit in the 4-5 shift. I think this is mostly me not adjusting my timing with the new clutch. While in motion the noise from the tranny and diff has been greatly reduced.

Also the rear diff clunk has drastically improved with these changes. Less shock to the driveline with the lighter flywheel??

Like i said, I have only driven 40 miles since the install, and have been quite gentle with it. I do think that the car will be faster once i can ask for more, but its a little deceiving while driving it so gently. Ill update this as I drive the car more.

inski

Cool. Keep us updated on the clutch performance. The mileage on my car isn't too far behind yours. If I have to go in there I'm going in with performance stuff. 8)

Ty Ty

Ty helped too.
Yep. Placed the driveshaft on the counter, held the exhaust for a minute, placed O2 sensors on the counter, and placed a small pin on the counter. Hahaha. I'm a very helpful one...

RallyGuy24

Well, after installing a new STi Group N Tranny mount, then moving on to try to install STi motor mounts, I discovered that the clanking wasn't the old tranny mount, but that I forgot to tighten the engine mount nuts. Good thing I have been driving it easy... In any case, the new tranny mount seems to be nice. I gave up on the engine mounts for the time being because I need to remove more than I thought I would to change them. Put in a new pitch mount though. Oh, and I tightening the nuts on the engine mounts seemed to help too...

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I love it when you find something like that. Nice easy fix.

I woulda posted the following:

"Well I put in the tranny mount last night. Now the problem is fixed." There, a little less info and nobody knows the difference ;D hehehe.

Back