Cold air intake... HELP

Dan

I have a 2001 impreza 2.5 rs.. I want to get a goood cold air for it but I have been doing a lot of reading on peoples thoughts on intakes and what brand they are and I just don't know what the best intake for my car would be.. only really wanna spend about $200 or around there.. but that might be hard seein' how the only intakes I can find for my car are around $300.. I've looked into spt, injen, and aem.. so far im stuck on aem for the price.. would that be a good way to go? PLEASE HELP ME

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Check the forums for used ones. SUBARUDE on here may have one that will fit your car too. Maybe ask him.

IBratmanI

Another option is to buy a cheaper one from ebay and then just buy a good quality cone filter. You may also find a deal on a high quality one on there as well

fattie

fat kid
they all do pretty much the same thing. just get a good filter. I wish I had gotten a CAI for my focus. the heat soak with this steeda short ram I got is horrendous in this weather.

Dan

thanks guys, I was thinkin' if I could do that.. whats a good cone filter? what should I look for?

i-wagon

Another option is to buy a cheaper one from ebay and then just buy a good quality cone filter. You may also find a deal on a high quality one on there as well
This. You can get a spt cone from evergreen (2.75 inch inlet) for around 45ish, for 3 inch any pep boys or advance auto should have k&ns or aem dry flows on the shelf. Personally I liked the aem dryflow cuz it doesn't need oil, pull it out, hit it with cleaning solution, rinse, dry, reinstall. Those should be between 35 and 50

Dan

This. You can get a spt cone from evergreen (2.75 inch inlet) for around 45ish, for 3 inch any pep boys or advance auto should have k&ns or aem dry flows on the shelf. Personally I liked the aem dryflow cuz it doesn't need oil, pull it out, hit it with cleaning solution, rinse, dry, reinstall. Those should be between 35 and 50
where would I get the tube? I found a full AEM for 200.. worth it?

IBratmanI

You can get the tube on ebay for cheap. It will actually be a full intake, but will have a cheap cone

i-wagon

Yeah, get a nobrandname cold air and buy a good filter. I bought a knockoff cold air for my sentra for $40

Matt

they actually say the cai's hurt the low end torque for us na guys, don't expect huge gains in hp.....id put a nice exhaust on it over intake

Jamey

I have 2011 impreza was thinking just getting a k&n drop in I already got exhaust But snyway eBay has cheap ones

i-wagon

K&n drop in is the cheapest and easiest solution. I'm running one with a fender silencer delete and wrx ram air snorkel. She breathes good and you can hear it

brighton

Rally Fluffer
Subies has cold air intakes from the factory. Get a k&n drop in and spend you money on suspension or tires. That is the first thing that will improve yOur car.

WashmyScooby

I'm rocking an AEM CAI on my 2011 WRX. I like the way it sounds. On an N/A car the hp gain will be negligible against a K&N drop in. However, if you are looking for the sound, then I agree with most others, just get a cheap tube and a high quality filter (like K&N).

Dan

I'm rocking an AEM CAI on my 2011 WRX. I like the way it sounds. On an N/A car the hp gain will be negligible against a K&N drop in. However, if you are looking for the sound, then I agree with most others, just get a cheap tube and a high quality filter (like K&N).
Thanks! I think im gonna go with the drop in for now 'cause I plan on re building the motor soon anyway.

katnip

the car is black. I swear
the 01 RS I used to have had an injen CAI (K&N cone filter), lightweight pullies, borla headers, random tech highflow cat, borla cat back, ecu piggyback (torque2) SAF-C wide band 02 management, and went like stink. low end torque was fine, many a person drove it said it was the fastest RS they'd driven.
default_blink.png

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
the 01 RS I used to have had an injen CAI (K&N cone filter), lightweight pullies, borla headers, random tech highflow cat, borla cat back, ecu piggyback (torque2) SAF-C wide band 02 management, and went like stink. low end torque was fine, many a person drove it said it was the fastest RS they'd driven.
default_blink.png
my well-traveled 00 RS coupe has similar mods to Kat's (minus ECU tweaks)and it's got more poke than my buddy Sean's 77 911S. (LOL even he agrees with this assessment)
default_cool.png

The RS strong points are instantly available torque and really well-chosen gear ratios.

Stock suspension tuning is spot-on for a mix of sporty road handling and good compliance for dirt hooligans. Most aftermarket mods just spoil a good thing on these cars...try to resist monkeying with the RS suspension unless you really know what you're doing and want 2 to tune car for a specific type of driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back