Dirty tail-lamp... HALP!

Redline

My passenger side tail lamp is filthy... inside! So, I removed it while stripping the rest of the car, and brought it home with me. I intended on pouring in some Oxy-Clean or some CLR to break up the rust and dirt deposits... but found something interesting/frustrating instead.

Removed the light bulbs to gain access to the lens assembly, and noticed a sort of crinkly film that was hanging in there. That's right... the mirrored finish is destroyed, so now I don't know what to do to restore the tail light so it shines nicely. As it is, it could barely illuminate enough to tell people I am turning (it's at least half as bright as the driver side)...

Any ideas? I still need to clean the inside of the lens, but don't want to waste my time if I can't figure out how to restore the mirrored finish. Thoughts?

EvilAsPie

that's what my PS tail light did too... So i bought JDMs... :
default_wink.png

But before do that i did try to clean the light and remove as much of the loose film as possible. It cleaned up ok, but it was nearly impossible to get all the water out of the light after rinsing it.

I still have a good PS JDM tail if you can find someone selling just the DS... Just a thought.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
check NASIOC. I think you can bake those lenses apart. then clean the film and spray with the "chrome mirror" paint.

I was able to do that on an old Saab 99 for which we couldn't get new lenses for. worked pretty good.

Latest posts

Back