Doing a big tune up. Any suggestions?

The car is my 97 LGT 5spd with 140k on the clock.

Things I have planned/on the way:
MSD coil

NGK Plug Wires

NGK Plugs

PCV Valve

Air Filter

I will be cleaning the TB and MAF, and I have seafoam running through it right now. 

I will be converting the intake from this (stock):

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Huffer13/media/Legacy/050928_EngineBay.jpg.html

To this, from a 95 Impreza:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Huffer13/media/Icebox/IMG_0430.jpg.html

Next thing down the road will be the exhaust. Oh an oil was done recently, thought I may do it again for S&G.

Last edited by a moderator:

injulen

What made you decide to swap the air intake? Just for looks? I've been reading up on the differences lately because a friend of mine is looking to do the same thing. He doesn't like the big box and wants to swap for the older style one.

In my reading I found that the big box is sometimes called a torque box. Something to do with how it changes the airflow lets you have more power in the low end. I think because it "stores" more air inside that when you kick the throttle wide open it has more air to work with as it builds up the vacuum to pull more in.

That is quite right, with the torque box you get a bit more low end, but sacrifice mid high range and a bit if gas mileage. I do prefer the look as well, but I'll take the extra power and mpg for sure. I pulled most of my info off of legacygt.com and nasioc.com.

A cone filter on the end of the 95 ej22 intake will also give just a bit more power, but causes the engine to run very rich at low rpm, losing more low end power. This has to do with the removal of a specially tuned resonator in the intake before the stock air box.

I ripped out the big white jug you are talking about. I also have a K&N drop in. This is on my 95 impreza with the 1.8. Exhaust note changed and got louder, also the intake has a nice growl to it when you start getting on it.

injulen

I ripped out the big white jug you are talking about. I also have a K&N drop in. This is on my 95 impreza with the 1.8. Exhaust note changed and got louder, also the intake has a nice growl to it when you start getting on it.
Big white jug?

He's talking about the resonator I mentioned, it's inside the wheel well. With the 2.5l you want to leave it in place unless you do a complete cold air intake.

injulen

Latest posts

Back