ECU Not Resetting?

Runnah

Well since I am due for a sticker I wanted to clear my CEL (long enough to get it stickered:)).

I disconnected one terminal, held and pumped the brake. The clock cleared, but the radio still had the stations programmed and the CEL was still lit.

Disconnected the other terminal, same results.

Disconnected both terminals, sat with he brake on for +60 seconds, same result.

Disconnected both terminals, touched them together, same results.

What gives?!

R

redlinerally

There's only one explanation.

Your CEL knows you are getting inspected. It, and your ECU have devised a plot to make you fail.

Rightseat

to reset CEL w/o code reader, u need

1 quart gasoline

old rags

bic lighter

admittely a radical solution, but works every time.

akinaspeedstar

to reset ECU. first remove the screws holding the trim around the cluster. then remove the three screws holding in the cluster. move steering wheel all the way down, remove cluster. remove light illumanating check engine light. reinstall cluster.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
You probably have something wrong that gives a instant message to the ECU that says "hey, I'm broke" . Have you pulled the code? What is it? What terminals are you disconnecting? I assume battery.

Runnah

You probably have something wrong that gives a instant message to the ECU that says "hey, I'm broke" . Have you pulled the code? What is it? What terminals are you disconnecting? I assume battery.

I'm not even starting the car before the CEL comes on.

I would like to try pulling the codes. I am afraid of what they might be at this point!
default_wink.png

I do like Akina's method. >
default_tongue.png

Evan

just leave it disconnected for longer, like a couple hours.

and FYI, cars aren't supposed to pass inspection like that. when they scan the ecu it'll say that its in a certain mode (which its in when the car hasnt been run enough times to set off the CEL again) and technically its not supposed to pass, but as akina said, and i've experienced, you can get away with it so long as you're not at a super strict place.

Tony Q

Could also be muffler bearings.......

Call Joel, Start the car and hold the phone up to the light so he can fix it for you.

I bet he might even do it for free!!!!

He is one hell of a guy!!

Runnah

Could also be muffler bearings.......

Call Joel, Start the car and hold the phone up to the light so he can fix it for you.

I bet he might even do it for free!!!!

He is one hell of a guy!!
I left my phone and Joel's bussiness card in my car. I figure if it wants to get fixed bad enough IT can make the call!

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I'll look at it after I fix the valve cover gaskets in my father in-laws OBK, rebuild the auto tranny in my mother in-laws OBK, do an alignment to both my wrx and the wifes OBK, repaint mine and finish that damn tile job I still haven't finished!

Is this the bitch and moan thread? oops.

Tony Q

Make sure you have good ventilation for all of those"jobs"!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Let me know when you are done cause I need help building my addition, but help Runnah first!

Latest posts

Back