Engine Swaptions????

cperrine

I have a 95 Legacy L Wagon (2.2 5spd) and I just been tossing around ideas of turbocharging/swapping. I've seen a few japan turbos and twin turbos around but don't know enough about engines to really make a considered decision (read, impulsive decision). So I'm wondering what my options are, turbocharge the incumbent, swap with a WRX, swap with a 1.8T, swap "FrankenMotor???" or swap with a 3.0?

Also who does this work/Cost????

Colby

Rightseat

if the Leg waggie is your first Suby project, beware the slippry slope of swappage.

It all sounds so simple. "Drop in a stock WRX motor." Then it's NOT so simple--options abound, as do "informed" opinions. "No, turbo a 1.8." " No no turbo the 2.2, they're bombproof blocks": etc etc.

Unless you can realistically tackle such a project with your own time and tools, expect to pay in the neighborhood of $3000 to $4000 for a well done swap of a WRX motor into your Leg. Expect substantial downtime while the needed fiddly bits of wiring, engine controls, etc get sussed out. Commute to Boston area to get the work done @ Dent Sport Garage, East Coast Swappers, etc. Be ready to apply more money and suffer more downtime while the bugs get worked out afterward.

Or, you can just opt for a well used 02-03 WRX wag and start with mild mods--it already has the good motor, bigger brakes, decent suspension, limited slip diff, etc. All of which would be more projects$$$ AFTER you paid big bucks to drop a WRX motor in your current wagon.

Swaps can be done, no doubt, (and there are owners of many swapped cars on this board to prove it) but the associated engineering and R&D getting the car to run right and then update brakes suspension tires etc to match the new motor's power can be more than you bargained for.

The question often comes down to, "WOuld you rather enjoy WORKING on the swapped car, or DRIVING it?"

Evan

theres definetly a lot of work involved with swapping a turbo motor. keep in mind you need the motor, wiring, ecu, crossmember, exhaust and other bits.

as spinmatert here on the board about how hard it was to get his 2.2legacy turbo motor into his impreza. it can be done, 100's of people have done it. if you're using stock engine management and dont do a hack job on the swap, once its in you're set. it'll have stock reliability and wont need any more tinkering than the car if came out of did.

just be prepared for the project to cost twice as much and take three times as long as you expected. also, a sohc 2.5 n/a swap is hella easy and drops right in. no wiring needed. they go for $650 at eastcoastswappers.com. you could do that in a weekend.

Back