falken ziex ze-512/912

Evan

anybody used either the 512 or 912? are either of them good? any discernible differences?

patsti

NitrousFed
anybody used either the 512 or 912? are either of them good? any discernible differences?
i haven't heard good things about the 512 I cant remember exactly why but all i heard was they were shy of ok.

Rightseat

ran the 512s on my RS rally car for several tarmac events. they were great in the wet, grip was fine, what I really liked about em was that they gave you good warning before all the grip went awaaaaay, bye bye! the 205/50-15 tires were mildly undersize for the RS, they drifted on pavement reall predictably. the smaller diameter effectively lowered the gearing which cost some hi end speed but made the car dig out of slow sections real nice.

thse falkens are aimed at the oem replacement market, treadwear is like 440 so you start with LOTS of rubber. somehow I get the impression that excess rubber may not stay on there for long?

Evan

eh, the size i'm getting is expensive enough that i dont want to run through a 200 treadwear tire in 6 mo. the ones i'm looking at are 360AA.

patsti

NitrousFed
my friends dad had them on his 330i bmw for a month and got new ones because he didnt like them... I personally have never had them. I had the rt615 and wont have them eva again.

urabusturbo

the wheels i bought off Jim had 512's on em and they put up with my abuse pretty well. I have always liked falkens a lot

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I only got 8k miles out of a set of 512's before they hit the wear bars. They didn't stick real well, but they didn't just give up. Like Nigel said, they just kinda drifted wide. The miles I got included 2 autocrosses too. But I wouldn't spend my money there again.

Evan

i still may be going with these for next year, so that's for the info. but whats tread squirm?

Rightseat

whats tread squirm?
...it's when your tires tell you a story that's SO GROSS you almost hurl, and your toes curl up inside your shoes.

or....

...it's when your OEM-style tire's deep tread blocks (like on new 512s) send mushy messages thru the butt dyno on the ax course while you're trying to beat guys with R-compounds.

the 512/912 is dsigned as an OEM replacement tire, treadwear is like 400+ so they can be a bit mushy in quick transitions, esp as opposed to a more performance type design like Hankook RS-2s (200 treadwear)

ya pays yer money, takes yer picks.

Evan

thanks nigel.

yeah the 912 is the 'new' 512, which is discontinued, but a lot of places still have them. the 512's are $50 cheaper total, and but the 912's aren't directional and have a longer tread warranty.

Latest posts

Back