going to be adjusting valves

i-wagon

Supposed to be getting talked through it some time, can get alldata printout, Mitchell printout. Wondering if anyone has any advice before I get elbows deep in this. It'd suck to get it all done and find out there was an easier way. JusT got feeler gauges today, so I think I have the tools I need (10mm wrench, socket, flathead, feelers) I've done the valve cover gaskets, just don't know how hard it is to maneuver in there

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Practice using the feeler gauges on some old spark plugs if you've never used those before.  Don't forget to replace the valve cover gaskets and tube seals while you're there, as they're cheap as shiat, and you already have it all apart.  Subaru three-bond sealant is the best you can put on the new gaskets, but you can also use ultra-grey if three-bond is too steep for ya.  Just make sure the surfaces are SUPER dry with no oil on them if you use ultra-grey.

It's kind of a pain to get in there, but still serviceable.  I'd recommend a good torque wrench as well.  This is definitely an important adjustment, so just make sure that you take your time and don't rush anything. Rotate the motor by hand a few times and check the lash again, then verify you torqued everything, before putting the valve covers back on.  That's pretty much all I got for ya.

i-wagon

It has noise, it's either that or piston slap. I can do valve adjustment myself, piston slap...not so Much

JoshP

Whats your mileage?  Get the FSM.. Also 3/8" torque wrench.. Also what do you have for feeler guages?  you are going to want .008-9-10-11.. (i only have .008-10-12, but i make do)..  You want tappet guages not straight.  Its a bit hard honestly to do in the car, especially never having done it before.

i-wagon

Justunder 100k. Gauges have that range and they are straight. I was told tilting the engine doesn't make it a terrible job. If I have to I'll pull the engine.

i-wagon

Mitchell is saying .024 for intake and exhaust, what I'd seen so far was .008 on intake and .013 on exhaust. I'll have to see what alldata says

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Do it with dead cold engine. Do not start it just before. If you can park it where you are doing it (garage) overnight beforehand. Even short idle from a parking lot to a garage is enough change clearances. I favor a small 10mm craftsman wrench, its tight while your in there and stubby flat head to hold screw position. On tight to frame cars I find reaching under car for exhaust over through engine bay for intake works better on some. Always know which cyl you are rotated to don't forget to turn motor and start adjusting valve partially on lift. Your printouts should help you follow steps. I set mine at the loose end of range, but I recommend you try and hit them exact to spec if you want to eliminate noise. I find rear cylinder on drivers side tends to be tightest when checking sohcs which is also bad, don't set them tighter than spec cause you will get cold sputter/misfire. Take your time and have fun. Never hurts to rotate over by hand 2 crank revolutions  when your done on any motor to eliminate chance of mechanical anything binding.

Also on you clearance specs, sounds like one may be listed in mm other in inches. Make sure you are using right feeler for unit used.

i-wagon

The metric/sae difference makes sense, our was really early this morning when I was on the site and I was rushing before baby got up. I have the general idea down, just waiting for the Subaru info, and maybe parts

i-wagon

I didn't actually adjust any. I checked all the valves on cyl 1-3 and they were fine. I would definitely want the tappet gauges if I actually adjust them. On the bright side I did stop any further damage to the timing belt

wasn't done paying yet... The work was easy, bit I've also dove valve cover gaskets by myself, and clutch with inski. I think the only nerve racking part was trying to get the crank bolt out. Breaker bar up against my skidpkate helped that

That's supposed to say posting up there...can't edit

Latest posts

Back