ground clearance

0025rs

Just wondering what tire size would be the best for winter to get the most ground clearance. can I get more out of a 15 then a 16? Driving a 2000rs Thin or wide studded or no? Thanks

Matt

stock 16 rs rims is 225/50/16......I ran 195/65/15 last winter

sidewall: 4.4 inchs sidewall: 5.0 inchs

radius 12.4 radius 12.5

diameter 24.9 diameter 25.0

circumference 78.2 circumference 78.5

revs/mile 811.0 revs/mile 807.0

you get more sidewall and everything else is virtually the same.....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Generally, a narrower tire is better in the snow because it cuts through the snow rather than floating on top.

Thinner is better, as far as studs? You should look at where you do most of your driving. If its city and the occasional backroad then I wouldn't bother. Mostly backroads then it wouldn't hurt. Just remember April 30th and they have to be off.

Matt

I hate studs.....my forearms kill after studding 4 tires.... ive never used studs before so I cant comment good or bad but those 195's were awesome in the snow as I was a drifting machine with them!!!!

just noticed I made a mistake, stock is 205/55/16 not 225....sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey

Studding sucks last winter I did over a 1000 tires not looking forward to this year
default_frown.gif
but unless u like sounding like a tank I'd stay away personally I think there useless

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I ran studded tires one winter. And never again. They suck more than they're awesome. I had like two days all winter where I said studded tires are awesome, most days I said they didn't do anything. And I couple of really scary times where I had absolutely no traction on wet pavement. Scared the hell out of me. Never again.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
go with the 195/65-15s on a set of steelies or used suby alloys.

this is the same size tire we run on the Last Ditch rally car for winter events.

the brakes on the RS are no prob clearance-wise with the 15s

i-wagon

I don't know how much clearence you have, but I'm running 205 70 15 yokohama geolanders on my 07. Gained .75 inch ground clearence in just the tire, and having a squishy sidewall makes for a better ride but lousy handling. Plus your speedo will be off

0025rs

Nice. Thanks, a lot rely good input. I think ill go for higher side wall on a steel 15 no studs. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back