Gutted up-pipe and ported stock turbo-WRX

Car Whore

Does anyone have these mods,or have experience with them? I just picked up a used stock up-pipe from a 14k mile 05 that I am going to attempt gutting out.I also was pondering having Deadbolt do a p&p on the TD04 when I remove it because I have heard good things about it..more torque,quicker spool,smoother drivability,etc.

Evan

gutted uppipe is good but you have to do it perfectly. one little shred of cat let in there and it will get sucked into the turbo and destroy the hot side. but dynos say that its only about 1whp less than an aftermarket cat-less pipe. and its free.

and just do a turbo upgrade. the dealer will never know.
default_redface.gif

(cough vf-39 cough)

Car Whore

Yeah,the up-pipe is cheap and needed.I have to do it.I know it won't give me huge hp gains,but the quicker spool,more torque,more turbo noise,lower egts,etc,are all worth it.

I still don't have any EM or exhaust system,so I wouldn't be bolting on another turbo just yet.I should probably just save the $300 or so for the Deadbolt P&P and put that towards a VF39/34/30 or something later.

I'm gonna get the GPMoto intake elbow and remove the silencer,too,probably next weekend.I'd always thought there was no reason to screw with the factory airbox because it does it's job well up to huge hp levels,but for $40 and an hour of labor,removing the silencer and replacing the "snorkus" apparantly directs the cold air better while freeing up some intake and bov noise without compromising any safety.Works for me.

I'm doing everything at a snail's pace (and budget) here while I make sure that the mods are what I really want.Still mulling over what exhaust setup to get.....it has changed so many times.It was the Maddad catted stealthback w/stock axleback,then the Borla axleback,now the Prodrive round-tip axleback,next week....?
default_redface.gif

Same thing for turbos....stock,VF34,VF39,twinscroll,18g,fpGreen,blah blah.....I have no idea.

Evan

cant you get a sti vf39 for about $300?

if so then i would never pay deadbolt $300 to p&p the stock turbo. you dont need anything major if you're not going to boost up the sti turbo any. trevor has the borla hush on his sti and it sounds pretty nice too. looks stock as well.

mikebike357

Here's my 'budget' mod list:

1) GP Moto IC Y pipe

2) Perrin other IC hoses (hand me downs)

3) K&N Air filter

4) 05 STi catback

and teh non "budget" item... Cobb Accessport.

The biggest difference came w/ the STi catback and teh Cobb. The Cobb Stage 1 - 93 Octane map is a vast improvement over stock.

I've been eyeing the MadDad high flow catted downpipe but it's a hefty price tag of $580 or so. EEch! I also tried the snorkus removal and didn't like it. It didn't yeild anything more than a slight increase in the turbo noise. My Butt Dyno couldn't feel any difference. IMO it's not worth it, same for the little intake elbow. Pure bling.

soposube

I don't know anything about porting the turbo.

Your more than welcome to drive my car with the up/dp gutted. Send me a PM and will set it up!!

Totally worth the effort and time.

Just don't for get to buy your gaskets.

Car Whore

I don't know anything about porting the turbo.

Your more than welcome to drive my car with the up/dp gutted. Send me a PM and will set it up!!

Totally worth the effort and time.

Just don't for get to buy your gaskets.
So it really does spool faster and smooth things out?

soposube

When I was having some fun, before I gutted my pipes, I used to shift a little after 5k because there didn't seem to be much power after that. But now I can run her all the way up. And It sounds like my own little Big Rig with the cool turbo noise.

Also around town its made a big difference, low down power it much better. You really should do a little comparo.

If your not busy tomorrow swing by my house. Send me a PM if you want. If you do send one I respond in the a.m..

Latest posts

Back