Hardwiring an XM reciever's power

Evil Jeff

Like I said in the gift thread, my step-pops got me an XM reciever for the wagon. Never had XM before, but so far, I like it, save for one thing: the wires everywhere.
default_biggrin.png

Right now, the reciever is clipped to the center vents, with the power and antenna wires hanging off. And after 1 day, it's alrady driving me nuts, and must be relocated. My tenative plan is to pull the ashtray out, mount the reciever in the pocket in front of it, and run the wires back through said hole.

But, that still leaves me with a cigarette power adapter, which I'd rather get out of the way. Back in HS, I did this with a radar detector in my T/A by clipping the plug off, and soldering them into the power leads going into the lighter. However, I was young and stupid back then, so I figured there'd probably be some smarter, and safer, solutions out there.

So, any ideas?

R

redlinerally

Sure are. Here's some thoughts:

1.) Determine the AMP rating on the cig lighter.

2.) Find a similar AMP available in the fuse box.

3.) If necessary, jump the fuse like you would fog lights or an ABS override.

4.) Hardwire a switch in place if needed/desired, so you can remotely shut off power if needed.

5.) Install an inline fuse for added protection. Also make sure you use the correct guage wire so not to overload/overheat... bad joo joo.

I hope some of this helps. Until mankind invents wireless power :
default_biggrin.png
(not batteries) this is the best we can do.
default_biggrin.png

akinaspeedstar

personaly what i'd do in case you want to ever use the XM in another car. they make the female cig lighter with just pig tails, in fact i had one like a week ago but i gave it to someone else. take the pig tales from the new cig adapter and splice into the wires for the real cig lighter. then just plug the xm into that, so the cord for the xm remains in tact. in case you ever want to move it somewhere. then just hide all the wires behind the dash and you have a clean install. i can give you a hand if you want.

Evil Jeff

personaly what i'd do in case you want to ever use the XM in another car. they make the female cig lighter with just pig tails, in fact i had one like a week ago but i gave it to someone else. take the pig tales from the new cig adapter and splice into the wires for the real cig lighter. then just plug the xm into that, so the cord for the xm remains in tact.

akinaspeedstar

yeah anytime, i'm pretty good at wiring up cars and such. i have kinda the same thing in my car.... you know..... i might have another cig lighter with the pig tails..... i'll look tomarrow for you and let you know

EvilAsPie

Gee akina who did you give the spare lighter adapter too i wonder?
default_biggrin.png

I'm planning to do this for both my wifes and my radar detectors.

As Redline mentioned in another thread i too smell a garage day.

WRXav8r

CAUTION!!!! your XM reciever runs on 6Volts!!!! cliping the plug off and hard wiring will destroy the reciever... I have installed many many many XM systems in cars (I have owned too many in fact) If I had the time I would help you install but I live way up in Bath and it would have to be on one of my few days off. like this weekend Sunday late afternoon/evening or monday late afternoon.

akinaspeedstar

yeah but if it plugs into a cig lighter, if you just plug it into a difrent power port there shouldn't be any issues. it will be the same as he has it wired now, except out of sight

and Jeff i do have another cigarette lighter with the pig pails! let me know if you want it, and if you want a hand wiring it up

akinaspeedstar

You are correct sir!
default_biggrin.png

i figure that would be the cleanest install, and you'd still be able to pull it out easily if you wanted to. plus you don't need resisters and fuses and all the other stuff.

WRXav8r

I have installed the plugs behind the dash and ran the antenna all the way to the trunk/hatch for a roof mount. seemed to work the best... just if you have left over antenna wire do not bundle it up behind the dash... that causes interferance with all the other crap that runs behind there... rather buch up the remainder in the rear of the car away from other electrical signals. depending where you route it.

akinaspeedstar

are you going to the next beer and BS meet?

i can always throw it in the mail for ya or something. but your on your own for wireing it up
default_smile.png

Mighty Subie

there may not be opie and anthony on sirius but you don't get Maxim radio or NFL games or any of that. I love my sirius radio and I'll take pics of my install. I also ran my antenna out the roof where my radio antenna goes so i didn't have to frig around with running it all the way out the back and having it on my trunk or running up my rear window or anything.

Latest posts

Back