Hella 500

4WRXter

Skier!
I am thinking about some auxiliary driving lights mostly for the drive home after ski trips. VIP has Hella 500s on sale for $60. I want lights that are about the same size as my stock fogs. I want to be able to wire them to be on with high beam, off w/low if possible. I prefer to not be fumbling for a switch to shut them off every time I meet a car.

I assume I can buy better lights for more money, but will the 500s be sufficient? I also realize it may be difficult for someone else to say what is sufficient for me, but throw me your ideas. Thanx

seph

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/500.asp

Lamp Kits include two lamps, wiring harness, fuse, relay, dashboard switch, mounting hardware and Black on white stone shields

500_small1.jpg

$68.79

Bracket to mount in 99 - 03 Subaru Impreza, WRX - Laser cut Stainless Steel, pair

$33.44

Runnah

Kartboy makes some hella mounts aswell.

I wired the ones on my old rex to the stock button. It was very easy and took about 1 hour per light.

FYI if you're looking for maxium light out put, I'd suggest putting something above the headlights so you can see things a lot sooner.

Driving lights in the stock fog locations will be usefull but the won't point as far.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Those light mounts are for the stock fog location.

The 500's are about the best you will get for the money.

as far as mounting. get a piece of 2" aluminum angle from Home Depot or the like. Drill some holes that match the lisc. plate holes and two for the lights. it is a simple but effective light mount that is uber cheap!

4WRXter

Skier!
Tanks for the input guys. I think I am going to get some from VIP. No shipping charge. Available in Farmington, hopefully. That means a drive down there, (aw crap I have to drive my car. >
default_redface.gif
I hate when that happens).

I have actually already made some brackets that will bolt to the front of the engine bay and come out through the grill above the bumper. If mine aren't stable enough, Pedro's idea sounds good. Want to keep my fogs also.

Part of my question is wiring them to the high/low switch but it appears Runnah did that, so problem solved.

4WRXter

Skier!
Thanks to you also Right. My immediate goal is a little further reach for those errant moose and deer that might be lurking along the roads. Hence driving lights for now. Maybe upgrade to the H500 fogs next spring.

Rightseat

Thanks to you also Right. My immediate goal is a little further reach for those errant moose and deer that might be lurking along the roads. Hence driving lights for now. Maybe upgrade to the H500 fogs next spring.
for the $$, H500 driving lites are hard to beat, no matter where they mounted. just wire em up with the included harness, choose the setup where you have a separate switch and the hellas go off when you flick off hibeams

Dg

R

rallyXcramps

In the Hella directions or on rallylights.com it explains how to use your high beam power wire (or low beam depending on which way you want it to work) to trigger your relay for for hella power-up.

So when you have your hella switch on your high beams will activate the Hellas and shut off when you go back to low beam. You'll probobly have three wires going to your wrx head lamps, use a test light to see which one is power when you have the high beams on (or search on line somewhere), the others will be lo-beam power and a shared ground. Use that Hi-beam power to splice into for your Hella relay. I recommend weather proof splices or liquid electrical tape to slobber on your connections to keep the gremlins out.

that's a good deal they're having at VIP. The 500s have been $69 for the past 5 years. 8)

4WRXter

Skier!
Thanks for the info Inski. That is kind of how I assumed the wiring might be, but had not looked until just now. Looks like a pretty simple wiring job. Definitely plan on weatherproofing the splices.

VIP sales flyer says their regular price is $64.95. I hope they have some driving lights left when I get down there next Fri. I will be :'( if not.

Latest posts

Back