Help on old 1.8

WRXav8r

Problem: under acceleration it hesitates and almost dies. can't get it over 30 or so MPH

Car: 1987 1.8L Subaru GL 47K miles

Things done so far

Fuel filter

wires

coil

plugs

cap

rotor

fuel pump is running (no way to test output if its enough)

injector sprays (TBI)

cleaned throttle plate

vacuume checks good -20psi

no check engine light

no fault codes on the "ECU"

scratching my head on this one.

suggestions??

R

rallyXcramps

dog-o-matic? Original cat?

Fuel pressure should be 30+psi. That would be the first thing to check. You've covered just about everything else. Maybe timing, but I'd guess fuel pressure first if you're positive the cap and wires are correct and the timing belt is in one peice.

WRXav8r

New exhaust manifold, cat, and muffler (well 1 year old)

I have no way of testing fuel pressure... any suggestions?

I tell you what though... I didn't tighen the fuel filter properly and the pump blew the hose off when it started....

R

rallyXcramps

when did it start running poopy? Before or after you started throwin parts at it?

WRXav8r

after. It has to be somthing stupid that I missed or am missing.

The timing is good and all the cylinders seem to fire steady (timing light verified)

Rightseat

speak to this motor firmly and directly

threaten to use if for a boat anchor if it doesn't quit running like sh**

one problem with this approach...if it still runs bad, you gotta drain ALL the fluids before tossing it overboard. EPA and Maine DEP has no sense of humor.

DG

ReZPunK

i know it sonds overly obvious...but a wise man once told me....if you even look at the engine of a subaru..you have to reset the ECU.

all those new parts...might need to re-learn...

im sure you tried but this was a quick type response...and i didnt see it in your list of stuff you did.

ReZPunK

well it is an 87, does it have one?

i didnt think of that, i was thinking it was newer..

edit: ah the SPFI Control Unit....

by use of 1 oxygen sensor it controls the fuel trim....clever...

anyways...upon further investigation it appears that you did have somethingfail and may have replaced it...but the control unit is still on Limp Mode. or failsafe they call it.,..

Latest posts

Back