Help! please

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
ok, I'm a noob, and Im trying to get the Justy up and running. Its been a pain in the ass.

here are some photos.... can someone please explain to me where the liquid is coming from?... I believe its anti-freeze.

and .. if something major... do you think its worth the fix?

DSCF1921.jpg

DSCF1922.jpg

Runnah

It looks like on pic one that if that is the source of the leak, then it may just need a gasket replaced.

Runnah

ok. ive replaced the valve cover gasket... would it be the head gasket?
You'd be seeing oil not coolant.

On the second pic the middle hose looks like something has dripped on it. Check above that area.

Cooling systems are mostly simple rubber hoses and clamps. Odds are is that you have a worn out hose or a broken clamp somewhere.

Start at your radiator and work your way out, checking each hose for holes and clamp integrity.

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
alright ill check it out. the hose in the second pic is actually new, and it was leaking from there before i changed it, Thanks!

WRXav8r

Another thing is rarely does a coolant leak occur at static pressure (unless it is blatantly obvious). more often it happens when warm and under pressure. Autozone (at least the ones in Texas) have a tool rental program. rent the coolant pressure tester. you can hook it up to your radiator in place of the cap. run the pressure up on the system with the engine warm (caution warm engine means really F***n hot coolant) and look for leaks.

Just my $0.02

Rightseat

check your oil--no, really.

if head gasket is going-going-gone, there may well be water/coolant getting into crankcase. you will see whitish/brownish goop in the oil, it'll be sort of milky in color. check under oil filler cap for yummy choco mousse like schmutz

also check coolant. bad head gasket lets oil/water mix. coolant will have distinct oily sheen

if you find either, you'll probly find both. if so, head gasket is FUBAR. not to worry, head gasket job is kind of standard in old scoobs.

if neither shows up, they your leak is something else. trace leaked fluid back to source.

good luck, you may NEED it.

DG

Rightseat

Justy swap?! Cool!

I know a guy in NH who has a v5 STI motor he needs to get rid of....

look, up in th sky! It's a bird...it's a plane...its....SUPER JUSTY!!!!

DG

(No, it' not up in the sky, it's up in the TREES)
default_wink.png

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
Justy swap?! Cool!

I know a guy in NH who has a v5 STI motor he needs to get rid of....

look, up in th sky! It's a bird...it's a plane...its....SUPER JUSTY!!!!

DG

(No, it' not up in the sky, it's up in the TREES)
default_wink.png
EXACTLY!

Latest posts

Back