how do these heads look?

Evan

aa3b_1.JPG

the two inner intake valves look more oil coated or something than the other 3 valves. is that a sign of a leaking valve seat or something? anything to worry about?

inski?

Runnah

From what I can see 1 of the 4 have a lot more build up. I can see the the other 3 don't have as much. But you can safely say that you're only dealing with a 1/4 of the issue here. The other 3/4 are not part of the problem. Once we take away the problem we can what what isn't the problem. That will give you a much clearer vision of the problem at hand. The real problem is here is the we are dealing with a problem that has no real solution to the problem. I suggest thinking about the solution then going back to the problem to find your answer.

inski

;D = runnah

Why did you pull the heads?

Does look different.

Check you valve faces for nicks indicating contact with something

I'd pop the spring keepers off and see if the valves spin nice and free insde their guide bores, Do this by popping the valve out about a 1/4 inch and spin it with your fingers by the valve stem. If the valve face wobbles at all it has made contact with something and bent. If its not bent then pop all the valves out and clean them til shiny, clean intake and exh chambers, clean combustion area and thoroghly clean the mating plane. Now measure the mating plane with a very flat straight edge cross-wise with your feeler guages. 0.0022" is allowed, anything more your head needs to be planed down flat.

More common issures with heads are warpage, head gasket leaks externally, head gaskets leaks internally..cross leak or coolant leak into a cylinder. And once in a blue moon valve will touch something and bend. Some higher mileage pampered cars will get gummy valves and the seats will get snotty causing poor combustion.

internalcombust

Pull the valve check the stem to see if it is straight and replace the valve guide seal. Checking the head for warpage is def needed since it is off. Be crazy not to. I have seen countless motorcycle heads with valves looking very similar and the cause: leaking guide seal.

Evan

Why did you pull the heads?
they're not mine, and they're online so i cant do a whole lot to them. if its just a valve guide those are pretty cheap.

i'd be more worried that its a bad stem seal because that would need machining (and who the hell knows how to do that?). a stem seal or even a knew valve is no more than $15 each.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
We've seen some recently that the valve guide works loose from the head and drops down. As the engine runs, it will work it's way up and down.

inski

yip, I've had one like that too. It holds the valve open and POW! the piston smacks it. heh heh I love machined parts carnage. >
default_redface.gif
I chucked the head and the customer got an brandy new one and new piston. Subarus really like new parts.

cperrine

"Some higher mileage pampered cars will get gummy valves and the seats will get snotty causing poor combustion."

inski I'm scared. My car has 158...What can I do to clean it if this is happening.

inski

Your car sounds awesome, quiet, no stumble at idle. I doubt you'll have to worry about that. If that were to happen Seafoam sucked in thru the PCV hose while its running will eat deposits off the intake and valve.

Latest posts

Back