Impreza wheel bearing job a bust

I got everything unbolted and it came down to the CV joint. It was stuck in the hub so I rented a hub remover and it wouldn't even budge it. I was worried I was going to mess up the axle or the differential torquing on it so hard.

So that job isn't worth the time and effort. I spent three separate dates removing the hardware and getting it ready to pull apart. I hate the rear of these cars, they are damned terrible.

Anyway does anyone know a decent shop that will do these for reasonable labor? I'm giving in.

I know I should hunt around myself but I'm defeated, and I'm bleeding. So could someone help me out?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I used to hate the rear of these cars, too. Then I worked on a 3rd gen legacy. Suddenly that rear end is awesome and the easiest thing to work on in the world.

If you've already taken out (or cut up) the big bolt that holds the knuckle to the lateral links, just take the whole thing off the car, axle and all.

Bring it to a machine shop with the new bearing and just have them press the axle out, and replace the bearing.

Take the parking brake assembly off, it's fairly simple. I think the backing plate just bolts on to the knuckle.

Unplug the ABS sensor from inside the car. I THINK the connector is under the rear seat. I know it is on a forester.

I never do these bearings myself, I just take the knuckle to a machine shop and have them do it, the only proper way is with a press. It usually costs me $30 or something. That's so cheap it's not worth screwing it up and having to do this dumb job over again.

Sorry, I can't recommend any shops in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I had it all the way down to just the axle holding it on. I have all the other bolts loose.

Does the axle just attached inside the diff with a spring clip?

I was afraid to really crank on that puller because I didn't want to frig up my diff. I'm sure damage could be done on those splines, or the gears inside.

Do the four bolts just come off the diff and then the axle slides out?

Matt

Air hammer if you have a compressor or a really good penetrating lube and hammer and punch. It'll come out.

How much can you really hammer on them? Also for future reference should you leave like the lateral link bolt in and loose, and one of the strut bolts in and loose, then hammer on the cv?

I was really concerned about using the hub remover because I was really putting a lot of pressure on the joints with it.

Also I want to make sure everyone is on the same page. I was going to take the knuckle and all to the shop to have it pressed. But the CV won't come out of the hub, so I can't get the knuckle off.

When I was torquing the hub remover I would get to a point where all of a sudden it would turn sort of smoothly and easier then normal. It felt like I was turning something either inside the cv, the diff. or the other tire, but I don't think I was turning the other tire. It was on the ground.

It freaked me out so I stopped. Couldn't you damage the diff in this way? Or the joint?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back