Interest in 08+ gauge pods?

Fluffy282

Long story short I will be designing a gauge pod to sit in the cubby in front of the shifter in 08+ imprezas. I will probably make 5 prototypes (1 will go in my car) If the other 4 sell and there appears to be an interest, than larger runs will be a possibility. First run will be made of carbon steal and then powder coated... future runs will probably be aluminium.

Thoughts, comments, concerns, interest?

Fluffy282

I'll post a concept pic when I get home.... Prototypes will probably go for $75-100 depending on final production time and powder.

Codes written, op 1 successfully run.

Fluffy282

1150801_10201277319367384_1799350346_n.jpg

10015636_10201278805364533_98443918_n.jpg

jojo69

Sounds like a great idea! The one aspect I am not fond of is the the location. I am sure you've already thought about this an all, but I would prefer my gauges to be at eye level. I guess some of the gauges don't need to be seen all the time and therefore could be placed at a different location...

At any rate, I am def curious to see the process/results and a big kudos for making it happen!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fluffy282

That's understandable, but with my gauges (prosport evos) they are very difficult to see anyways due to glare any time of day. At eye level you really have to take your focus off the road to get a good look. This "pod" will be recessed in the cubby (ideally just beyond flush with the cigarette lighter) and should be shielded from glare.

Im not expecting this to be a ground breaking product... there are a few other features I would like to add if this goes into full production. The thought had been brewing in my head for awhile. I was sick of the options available for the 08+. You have the MBR vent pod (2 gauges $75 plastic insert requires you remove your stock center vents), SOLiD Modifications vent pod (1 gauge $75 requires you remove your stock vent) and the smycluster (2 gauges $140) These are the only clean install techniques. MBR also makes a 3 gauge pod that you tape over your clock (not acceptable for me) ATI makes a 3 gauge pod that tapes to your passenger air bag (not safe and not acceptable) and fastwrx.com has a windshield 2 gauge pod that you tape to your windshield (don't know you run the wires)

When I told my boss I paid $75 for a piece of plastic with 2 holes cut in it, that snapped into the center bezel, His only response was "We can cut A LOT of aluminium for $75"

jojo69

Yeah I agree that the the options are very limited. Like you said, the only one I ever considered (and beyond my price range in order to do it right) would be the 3 pods ati custom modded over the clock AND integrated to the dash via a complete dash wrap (ie, rallysportdirect sema 2011 subaru car by JPM --> http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-interior/249990-60mm-gauge-pod-solutions-2.html ). That's the only one that looks oem to me. Second best is the ZeroSports pod but limited to just 1 gauge (I guess boost) and 3rd place in my book is the solid vent mod, but I can't justify sacrificing the left air vent. I have never been to keen on the a pillar pods, although technically maybe the best location/ease of view. So yeah, very few good options I agree. 

Last edited by a moderator:

brycetron

That's understandable, but with my gauges (prosport evos) they are very difficult to see anyways due to glare any time of day. At eye level you really have to take your focus off the road to get a good look. This "pod" will be recessed in the cubby (ideally just beyond flush with the cigarette lighter) and should be shielded from glare.

Im not expecting this to be a ground breaking product... there are a few other features I would like to add if this goes into full production. The thought had been brewing in my head for awhile. I was sick of the options available for the 08+. You have the MBR vent pod (2 gauges $75 plastic insert requires you remove your stock center vents), SOLiD Modifications vent pod (1 gauge $75 requires you remove your stock vent) and the smycluster (2 gauges $140) These are the only clean install techniques. MBR also makes a 3 gauge pod that you tape over your clock (not acceptable for me) ATI makes a 3 gauge pod that tapes to your passenger air bag (not safe and not acceptable) and fastwrx.com has a windshield 2 gauge pod that you tape to your windshield (don't know you run the wires)

When I told my boss I paid $75 for a piece of plastic with 2 holes cut in it, that snapped into the center bezel, His only response was "We can cut A LOT of aluminium for $75"
Very interested.  SMY cluster is the only cluster ive seen that I like.  I dont use that cubby for anything as it is and I know ill probably want two more gauges eventually anyway.  The cubby seems like the perfect spot for gauges that dont need to be looked at all the time and/or get them out of sight a little bit (thinking EGT, AFR).   

Fluffy282

1979545_10201297874401247_2040344470_n.jpg

I got my 3 current prototypes fitted... There's a lot of gaps and fitment is in consistent. But they work!

I've got actual work to do at my job again so this goes on the back burner for awhile. But 2 of these 3 will be for sale shortly (cheap as I said the fitment is less than ideal.

Latest posts

Back