Is it my headgasket

DrakeHale33

So i was poking around and saw this

photo1.jpg

Do you think its the headgasket. Oil is clean, coolant level is fine, it doesn't look like a leak just more of an all encompassing sludgy substance and the temp gauge in the car has never read anything but normal. Just want to try and catch it early if it is indeed HG. thanks all

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
tiny bit of simple green and spray it down with water. after it's clean, drive it a bit and then look to see exactly where it's coming from. That's how we tell for leaks on our generators. We keep them clean all the time, so when something does leak, it's very noticeable.

keep monitoring those things

i-wagon

My car had some oil on the bottom of the head right there from where I've spilled it over the years

DrakeHale33

Thanks for the replies guys I'll try the simple green, it seems like it is coming from somewhere else, the pic is from the drivers side the passenger side looks similar just not as bad, seems heavier toward the back. Seems like its mostly oils. Wouldn't the external leak mostly be coolant?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Nope, the external head gasket leaks on the phase 2 2.5 are oil. Watch it carefully and make sure your coolant is topped off at all times in the radiator and over flow.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
tiny bit of simple green and spray it down with water. after it's clean, drive it a bit and then look to see exactly where it's coming from. That's how we tell for leaks on our generators. We keep them clean all the time, so when something does leak, it's very noticeable.

keep monitoring those things
+1 to this.

Unless you clean it up, there's absolutely no idea knowing where it's coming from. Oil travels a surprisingly long around the outside of the engine making it confusing to find the leak.

That looks like the passenger's side to me, so no filler to leak there. Probably a nasty valve cover gasket leak, but start by cleaning everything really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

05RSKID

After you clean it you could also try adding some die to the oil that will glow under a black light. Just makes spotting the leak a little easier.

Latest posts

Back