Is it worth it? Help!

briannaaudrey

Hi guys, so I am afraid my poor leggy gt is nearing the end of its life. Here are the basics:

It is a 1997 Legacy GT with 218k, it has the original motor

It burns more and more oil lately (ballpark 2 quarts in 500 miles),

when the oil is low the engine knocks and the engine light blinks over about 75mph,

I have been adding 10w30 but am going to put one quart of 10w40 in next,

the body has some rust issues.

My question is, how serious does this sound, and is there anything I can do besides replace the engine, or should I look for a new car asap?

Also, my tires are bald, is it worth buying all new tires?

I appreciate any help/suggestions!

Well 2 quarts in 500 miles is the most I believe I have heard. It could be something other then burning the oil. Is the tailpipe covered in oil? Is the underside of the engine covered in oil?

DO NOT mix 2 different oils. If you switch oils do a complete oil change. The rust might be fixable, you can get used tires for really cheap. But if you are driving it this winter make sure you have snows or aggressive all seasons.

Switching out the engine isn't all that bad. I believe yours is a DOHC but a SOHC will work, I think a couple people have used ones on here.

Matt

and he installs....motor at the least....if you can afford somethiing newer id say go for it....if not mike can make it live

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Have mikey price engine(worst case). Go get a state inspection done, if it fails get quotes for repair(if body fails get body quotes) Add price of decent tires to all this. Then decide is it worth it or is that amount of money close to what replacing car with used one or down payment on something...

Meyagi

I'm a hack
my buddy tyler is selling some nice legacy gt wheels with like new tires for only 250, that's cheaper then just buying 4 tires

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Well 2 quarts in 500 miles is the most I believe I have heard. It could be something other then burning the oil. Is the tailpipe covered in oil? Is the underside of the engine covered in oil?

DO NOT mix 2 different oils. If you switch oils do a complete oil change. The rust might be fixable, you can get used tires for really cheap. But if you are driving it this winter make sure you have snows or aggressive all seasons.

Switching out the engine isn't all that bad. I believe yours is a DOHC but a SOHC will work, I think a couple people have used ones on here.

Mixing oils is no big deal. even syn with dino.

Iboc_C64

Well yah, all oils will say that because they want you to buy more of the product from which your are reading the warning label, capitolism at its greatest, improved sales by means of fear tactics!
default_additional_greedy.gif

I look at it this way, its more akin to mixing poland springs with auquifina rather than mixing Poland Springs with Castrol Syntec, which is bad, real bad.
default_additional_twak.gif

i-wagon

pics of rust? if it isn;t too bad, it can be patched over and get another couple years out of it, the cheap tires and wheels are, as they said, a lot cheaper than just buying tires, and easier to put on too. motor, well, have mikey quote you the engine and install.

sooch

Type-RA
you dont want your car to be temperamental during the snow, just take that into account. if you decide not to keep it, just part it out and make something out of it!

abenson100

Well yah, all oils will say that because they want you to buy more of the product from which your are reading the warning label, capitolism at its greatest, improved sales by means of fear tactics!
default_additional_greedy.gif

I look at it this way, its more akin to mixing poland springs with auquifina rather than mixing Poland Springs with Castrol Syntec, which is bad, real bad.
default_additional_twak.gif
the reason you shouldnt mix ouils is because they all run different additive packages and could have interactions with each other. this is unlikely but possible. also and claims made by an oil company are void if you are running a mix.

Last edited by a moderator:

n8wrx

Spec B
do you know the cause of the leak? that's what I would look at. there are many different issues you could be having some are easy fixes like a gunked to crap PCV valve but others like a blown to crap head gasket headgasket are work just a motor swap almost at that mileage. Check the PCV tho and get a new one there cheap and could possibly be the cause of all your issues unless your seeing physical oil leaking out. Its going someplace so find out where and go from there IMO.

Latest posts

Back