Looking for a 2000-2004 2.5 engine

Legacy22GT

Hi,

I am looking for a 2.5 engine for a 2002 legacy,

Preferr to have the head gaskets done, but it's not a requirement.

thanks for looking.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You can't use 2004 legacy engines because they have oval exhaust ports. 2003 has EGR, but you can just crimp the tube and weld it.

Regardless of what you get, make sure the new engine's intake manifold and the cam/crank triggers are the same as your current engine. I've been bitten by that before. It's a lot easier to swap those items engine out of car than when it's in the car...

Last edited by a moderator:

injulen

Not sure if it meets your fitment requirements (I don't think it does) but I have a running 2.5L SOHC in an 02 Impreza OBS with a MAP intake. It has over 200k miles and I have zero idea of the maintenance history but it still runs well, I started it up just the other day to move the heap across my yard.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
The intake doesn't matter, so yea, that would work. If his legacy is an automatic, it'll probably just drop in, if it's a stick, he'll have to change intake, crank/cam gears.

injulen

I checked around and I'm pretty sure an 02 legacy would be Sohc MAP anyway so if it's an auto then my engine will be a direct drop in plug and play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You can't use 2004 legacy engines because they have oval exhaust ports. 2003 has EGR, but you can just crimp the tube and weld it.

Regardless of what you get, make sure the new engine's intake manifold and the cam/crank triggers are the same as your current engine. I've been bitten by that before. It's a lot easier to swap those items engine out of car than when it's in the car...
MAP isn't the issue, the issue is that 00 and 01 legacy/outbacks have one style IACV and crank/cam triggers for manual, and a different style for automatic. In 2002 everything went and used the automatic style, for both manual and automatic. To further confuse everything for the impreza/forester they changed to using only the auto style stuff in 01.Yes, I'm decently sure of this... I just put a 2000 manual outback engine in a 2002 forester and it didn't work for the above reasons...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It should. Just make sure the IACV is the same, should be the round barrel style IACV. And make sure the cam/crank gears are the same. Crank gear should be the one with only 7 reluctor teeh, cam gear should be the one with set of 3, set of 2, and then singles across from eachother.

You should pull all those off anyway when you do the timing belt and seals, so it isn't a big deal. If you're worried, just use your stock intkae manifold and crank/cam gears. It's a super easy swap and will 100% ensure it'll work properly.

Latest posts

Back