Looking for some info on underbody rust prevension

RedForester08

Yup the 04WRX is in pretty good shape underneath and I would like t keep it that way. It has the usual surface rust on the untreated bits underneath. No rust scaling or rot starting. Would like to know what to use on the underneath for both of the areas unpainted and the painted area such as sub frames. Also the rear quarters in the typical

area. They are perfect and would like to keep those from rusting.

Thanks

Jim

oh5xt

I used POR-15 on the underside of 510 I restored and it worked great! I even used on the inside on the floor before inlaid the carpet down.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I've used POR15 and Chassis saver from magnet paints.

Chassis saver is a better product and is cheaper.

Get a 1 gallon can from their website and do two or three coats under the car.

My RS has yet to bubble on the areas I cut out and welded in, which was a lot.

Where as my legacy rear quarters which were hit with POR are rusting through.

urabusturbo

+1 on the POR-15. It is expensive but it is the best weapon against rust in my experience. I am in the process of painting my car and have used 2 pints of the stuff so far. One area that I would suggest treating is the inside of the rear quarter inside the trunk. I don't know about the Newer Subarus but on my 93 legacy they use a seam sealer in that area that will trap moisture and accelerate rust.

in this pic I had already scraped out some and it is obvious that rust is starting despite the fact that it looked fine from the outside

here are a few of the chunks.
Be careful when using the stuff, it is not like regular paint. It dries into a very tough and hard shell and If you get any on you it will be on you for a while.

I heard a commercial for a local dealer (Nissan or Mazda) that was offering under body winter coating/protection... I wonder what they were using or doing. doubt it was por-15

brighton

Rally Fluffer
Thanks Dan,

Is UV rays an issue on the undercarriage?

It could be if he rolls his car at NEFR.....
default_wink.png

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Thanks Dan,

Is UV rays an issue on the undercarriage?
Negative. I put it on the RS underneath with no pealing so far, and that is after 100's of miles of sand blasting. It's only an issue if you do the side of a car or a trailer or something, then you'd need a top coat.

brycetron

For undercoating rust prevention. Lanolin. Forget the exact name of it. Been around a long time. Just did my sti. $40 for a gallon which will do a car 3-4 times. Used it in a spray gun. Took me 5 mins to apply it. They also sell it in aerosol cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt

I've got like 5-6 cases of what they use on the frame recalls for Toyota. I may give that a shot.

inski

Matt, interested in selling any?  I have to do my dad's chevy truck.  I was thinking about Fluid Film but sometimes the pressure in the cans isn't enough and sometimes it doesn't saturate like I want it to.

Matt

Matt, interested in selling any?  I have to do my dad's chevy truck.  I was thinking about Fluid Film but sometimes the pressure in the cans isn't enough and sometimes it doesn't saturate like I want it to.
Yea I could. It's just collecting dust on my bench in the garage. You're suppose to use a special air gun to apply it but I found if you heat it up a bit and brush it on it does just fine.

Latest posts

Back