mobil 1 sythetic gear lube

internalcombust

I just had mobil 1 synthetic put into the tranny last week. I now have grinding when shifting into 5th at higher than 3500 rpms. The rest of the gearbox shifts ok but it is definately notchier than before. What is everyone running in thier gearbox and have you experienced this problem with mobil 1?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
it is too slipery it is making your synchro's not syncro.

there is a blend that is highly recomended I will see if I can find it

R

redlinerally

Hmm...

I would order that stuff and drive very little on your car till it gets here
group drive say what?
default_wink.png

Trainable

http://specialtyformulations.netfirms.com/store/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31

I have been using this stuff and it is pretty spendy $50 when all is said and done after shipping. I felt a little more comfortable with it than a mixture and there were a few guys on NASIOC who were high on it. I have been pleased, but I wasn't having any real issues before just trying to get the tranny to be as smooth as possible.

+1 on switching to some good old Valvoline 75-90 dino oil. It works just fine in our trannys.

Rightseat

+eleventy sompin for Motul Gear 300

put it in crunchy Tulip gearbox, presto, no crunchies no more. this box now lives in RallyK's car, still no crunchies. we run Gear FF in the rally cars now, it's specially formulated for LSDs...it's super sweet but extra pricey, no need for stock boxes.

mmm, sexay French go juice.

rallyxi is Da Man to contact

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa

Huh? ??? Too slippery eh? That sounds made up. How the hell can oil be too slippery? Car too fast? Handles too good?
There are bullitens on these issues. It is not a gear oil problem. It's a gear problem. I'm on it.

J

junkyardgabe

ask burnin-4 he had the same problem when he tried it

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Huh? ??? Too slippery eh? That sounds made up. How the hell can oil be too slippery? Car too fast? Handles too good?
There are bullitens on these issues. It is not a gear oil problem. It's a gear problem. I'm on it.
it is a syncro issue. The syncro's use friction to match the gears without grinding. That is why in fast shifting applications such as a short track and a gearbox that dosen't have dog engagement, you would use a gear oil with a friction modifyier. it is like an LSD for your transmission.

seriously man. look it up. There was a similar problem with the early saab gear boxes. They loved the petrol 5W30 in the winter and 20W50 in the summer, but if you touched it with anything with additives or a pure synthetic you would be grinding gears all the time. I did have good luck with redline shock reducer gear oil and an ATF. I have it written down somewhere.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I can't figure out how to insert the image but, here goes.

Pleas be advised the baulk ring and sleeve of 3rd and 5th gear have been modified to ensure smooth shift operation when shifting from 3rd to 4th to 5th. This parts bulliten provides information of when the change took place in production along with providing new part #'s.

The rest is a boring list of affected vehicles including 02-05MY Impreza's. Recomended is to replace 3-4th baulk ring, 3-4th sleeve and hub assy, 5th gear baulk ring and 5th sleeve and hub assy.

This repair was not done to your car. They did 2nd gear.

internalcombust

I'm reading a lot of negatives on NASIOC as well. I'm not saying you're wrong Joel, I'm just saying it is definately a subject up for debate.
default_biggrin.png
I didn't have the notchy gear changes prior to running the synth, I also didn't ever have a grinding issue into fifth prior to changing fluid. I know my tranny has some issues, but these gremlins didn't rear their ugly heads until after the new mobil one.

mikebike357

I've been running Mobil 1 70w90 in the Forester gearbox for quite some time now. No issues whatsoever. I used to have Redline 70w90ns in it, which was great for about 10k miles then it went to pot. Replaced with Pennzoil Synchromesh based on stuff I read. Didn't like that after about 2500 miles so I switched to Mobil 1. All is good.

jmailhot

When I was srambling to get my RS running again with a replacement tranny, I bought napa brand 75w90 with the intention of upgrading to motul gear 300 in a matter of days. However, the tranny never grinds (it is used 60K miles on it out of a 97 legacy GT sedan) it is real smooth, better than the used (and abused) impreza tranny with old, old, old (like never changed in 90K) subaru stuff in it.

FYI

BURNIN-4

From my experience with sythetic fluid in the sti was not good. It made shifts hard at high rpms. It did not grind or come out of gear. I did go back to normal fluid and no more problem. I also know some friends running sythetic with no problems.

Latest posts

Back