Nitrogen in Tires?

Runnah

Well after seeing it advertised at Tire Warehause I did some research (google 5 mins
default_tongue.png
) and apparently it increases fuel economy and cornering since the molecules are bigger then air so the tire is less likly to loose pressure and roll in the corners.

Anyone done this?

Anyone else have more to add?

ReZPunK

is it pure nitrogen?

remember the air we breath is 78% nitrogen 20% oxygen and the rest is other stuff.

so aren't tires already nitro filled?

C

chris

We used to run nitrogen in our kart tires when we used to race. The tire pressures remain closer to what we set them at before races. The nitrogen would Not change as much to heat as regular air, making them more predictable as laps clicked off and heat in the tires climbed and climbed. Many race teams on the ovals here in Maine run nitrogen also. You can purchase tanks full at Advantage Gas in Portland and Portland Welding Supply. I can not comment on improved MPG. I suspect any mpg improvement would be offset by the price of the nitrogen. It aint that expensive though, we use it at work to pressurize EVAP emmision systems to check for leaks. I'll ask how much it is next monday. Nitrogen is a safe gas, but pressurized bottle need care.

Evil Jeff

Performance gains on a race car are one thing. But if you ask me, this is nothing more than another ploy to empty the pockets of ricers.

stainless

In warmer climes it does not matter as much uless you are realy heating up your tires racing but in the northeast it is good because you tires do not change in pressure in the summer vs winter....

great in the winter when the starting temp in your tire is -5 then gets up to 80 on the highway......

can add up to a 5-10 psi diff in you tires most change in larger tires like trucks and suv's(more volume)

-Personaly i like the Nitrous oxcide filled tires lighter than air and great funn when you are bored ;D

mikebike357

Ding ding ding!!! That's the winning answer. It increases your fuel economy because you're not running underinflated tires. So as the temp goes from 42 degrees in the AM to 75 in the afternoon, your nitrogen filled tires stay at the same PSI.

I forget what the variation is for regular ole air... When we had our BMW, the BMW mechanic said something like 2psi for every 10 degrees change.

Stainless has the right idea though... why mount a tank in the passenger seat for NOS when you can fill your tires! NAWZZZZZZ BABY!!!!!!

rallyxi

I believe Nitrogen (N) and Nitrous Oxide (N2O) are two different things

But I think the whole thing is a gimick anyway! Aircraft tires have been using it for years because the minimizing change in tire pressure

just my .02 cents ;D

mikebike357

most people never check the air pressure in their tires until they realize that the tire LOOKS low... by that time it's WAY low. So, putting Nitrogen (not Nawzzzz) into your tires allows you to be lazy and not have to check your tires.

So then you have more time to sit on your butt in front of the TV watching the O.C.

stainless

I was not trying to infer that Nitrogen and nitrous are the same thing...

a Was trying to be funny....

that Instead of nitrogen they use nitrous......

I also find that my car handels better with (32 psi front/31 back.)

What do you folks run...

mikebike357

i run 35/35 on the Forester and 33/32 on the WRX.

Subaru recommended tire pressures on the Forester make it feel like the tires are gonna roll right off the rims. 29psi... c'mon. 35psi = wicked good cornering.

Back