not full boost?

internalcombust

So doing some research on converting MPa to psi I discovered that my peak boost at .05 MPa is only 7.3 psi. You have got to be kidding me. This thing has always been fast, and I'm only running two thirds of stock boost! What the F! It appears that I'm only running wastegate boost which is .05 MPa, this could be for a few reasons, first and most simple is that whoever had car previously was running a mbc and took it out for trade-in. This would leave me with no restrictor pill in line from compressor outlet nipple. I'll look tommorrow, its dark right now. Second, boost solenoid is bad. :-[. I guess there could also be a vacuum leak somewhere. If anyone has advice or ideas please throw them up. I'll check beck friday night. I know its the weekend coming up but don't leave me hangin'. Damn!

Trainable

Obviously the gauge is off
default_wink.png

Atleast that is the assumption I would start with. If you want I can stop by after work and plug my comp into it and see what the ECU is reading for boost. If the ecu is seeing the same boost and you are hitting you max wastegate duty cycles I would start to look for mechanical causes.

Check that the wastegate actuator arm is not loose, for the pill, and for leaks in the vacuum lines. If all that was in order I would try adjusting the arm a turn or two to see if that helps you reach your desired boost.

If all that fails I would start looking at the possibility of mechanical failure.

internalcombust

Well I've just gone out on my lunch break and poked around. There is no T connection at all. The compressor outlet nipple is run directly to wastegate actuator. There is a splice where the T should be which is filled with just a coupler. The vacuum line from intake (post MAF) is run to boost solenoid, but line from solenoid to what should be T fitting is plugged off and wire tied. It appears my car has seen some form of boost control, and was just thrown together to trade in, or sell. I just had a quick look, I'll inspect thoroughly this weekend. Anyone have pics of engine bay on an 02-03? If not I'll try to get ahold of ralli and check his over. The plot thickens.

internalcombust

I now have full boost! Holy crap! I thought the wagon was fast before, boy was I wrong. I bought a 3/16 T fitting, coupler,and some vacuum line and redid the lines the right way. The best part was it was in a NAPA parking lot. The ride home was great! I can't believe the way someone had left those lines, not even hooked to boost solenoid. Hopefully they will get what they have coming. I'm happy the fix was just $10 and some cold ears. I must go drive and enjoy.

internalcombust

Took the wife out for a ride with the newfound boost. On a second gear right hander I throttled up into a four wheel slide, now she thinks it's fast. Man I'm impressed, and now I have exhaust to throw into the mix. If only everyone could see the smile on my face. >
default_biggrin.png

J

junkyardgabe

ya you got to watch out for the cars bought at craft's good thing you caught this stuff early ;D

internalcombust

What do you know about tibidous transmission? They did the tranny work, second gear was bad. Its popping out of reverse under load since I got it from crafts. They have a one year warranty, but I hate letting anyone besides me work on my shit. If they don't know subarus I could be asking for more trouble. I see you have an aftermarket radiator, did the stock one have problems? Mines leaking slightly out of the plastic endcaps. that's why I ask. The tranny doesn't bother me too bad. The rest of gears and synchros seem fine so far. The radiator will definately have to be addressed before summer. Evergreen can get me the new style for just over 300 bucks. After seeing the vacuum line fiasco I wouldn't let the techs at crafts even look at the damn thing. Overall the car is f'ing great so I don't have any reason to be pissed. I got a pretty good deal.
default_frown.gif

J

junkyardgabe

my radiator had the same problem. i got the koyo alum. brand new off ebay for $300 plus shipping it fit great just have to shorten the hose cause the koyo is almost a inch thicker but that's easy.sound like the prior owner of your car gave the tranny a whoopin and like to launch it which wrx trannys don't like sti love it.when would you want to come and get that up pipe?just let me know i'm free just about any time i'm just around the corner from :-Xcrafts :-X

J

junkyardgabe

my is still stock i just bought this one a while back for a spare with a bunch of other parts.

end of the weeks fine just let me know a day in advance

Latest posts

Back