Oil

AMoore

I recently bought an 04 STI, and was running it on 5-30 mobil 1, then noticed the oil level was slowly going down week after week. I changed it out for 5-40 t6 recently and the same thing is happening. When I accelerate hard a little black smoke comes out of the exhaust. (Turbo Back catless exhaust) I've also been running a Napa Gold Filter. I was wondering what you guys run in your cars, and if there is anything to worry about

Thanks, Austin

Black indicates running rich, blue is normally associated with oil. The tune might be off(on the rich side isn't bad but will lead to deposits on the turbine side of the turbo which will hurt its performance) and the rings/ring lands could be going resulting in losing oil. Is it building boost properly?

AMoore

Previous owner had it tuned to run 20 psi, on 93 octance. I have an accessport on the way. What could I do to avoid this from happening?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
you can connect a hose line(i think it's 5/16ths and you can use zip ties to secure it) that connects from the nipple on the compressor side of the turbo directly to the nipple on the wastegate, and it will strictly run on wastegate pressure until you can get the right tune.

Also, to check for bad ringlands you can do a quick check. Have car running, and open the oil filler cap. If smoke is coming out of it, then ringlands are most likely bad. Then do a compression check.

You can also check the intercooler and see if that is caked with oil.

Happened to me a couple of times so i've been around the block and know what to look for.

-Justin

Last edited by a moderator:

AMoore

Yeah Im gonna run it on 93 stage 2 for a little while then probably find one that's more of a daily driver on the Cobb.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
You likely have bad oil seals in the turbo.  Talk to Kat, she does this all the time.

Latest posts

Back