Open ended lug nuts?

Imprezah

I want some. They look cool and come in different colors.

However, I imagine that using these in Maine, especially during the winter, is a terrible idea because your wheel studs will be exposed to the elements and will experience corrosion.

What are people's experience and advise? Is it no big deal? Should I stay away from them? Use them only in the summer?

Thanks

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I wouldn't run them unless you need the pass through due to extended wheel studs. But that doesn't stop people from buying them.

Mark

I've only seen them used on aftermarket wheels (ie tuner lugs) due to the very narrow opening for the lugs

Matt

a lot of steel wheels run the open acorn style lugs. I believe your talking about the super expensive aftermarket style lugs you see on aftermarket rims. a lot of people do run them without issues. Just put on a nice coating of antiseize to avoid any potential seizing

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
From working at a shop, you don't want them...

Wheels with hubcaps they were fine. But when they were missing the hub caps, the studs got very rusty. Sometimes damn near un-removable.

But as matt said, if you put anti-seize on them (which you should do anyway) it should be fine.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Well all the older Subarus use them, and I have worked on hundreds of them, and have NEVER had an issue removing an open ended lug nut. Hell, I have never broken off any lug nut. I would run them without hesitation, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, as they said, to put some anti seize or something on the studs.

Well as I have found with many things. If it is open to the elements, is torqued and corrodes at all, put anti-seize on it. You will get a better torque spec due to lubrication and it will come off easier. I had the stock ones on my car, open ended acorn style, and had a couple strip due to the place I get tires over torquing them. I bought a cheap set of "locking" lug nuts that are closed and won't run the open ended lugs again.

4WRXter

Skier!
I think I paid around $50 at the time. I just used those as example. Spent about three minutes searching.

Latest posts

Back