Possible bent valves?

cleans13

So I have a hybrid motor(2.5 Sti block/ 2.0 heads) with 90k mikes on it. I was driving back from Boston and accelerated to wot and it started to misfire and got the flashing cel. Got home pulled plugs and packs. Changed all 4 plugs and replaced the cylinder 3 and 1 packs. It was a cylinder 3 misfire code. Drove fine for a few weeks and then again at wot I had a misfire, no flashing cel though and then a slight knock. The knock got louder so I drained the oil looking for metal thinking it might be rod knock, it was clean. Less than 100 miles I drained it again and still clean. So onto the timing belt thinking it might have jumped and bent a valve. Everything was lined up like it should have been, but I changed it and all the idlers and waterpump. The knocking only happens under load, nothing if I just rev it up in the driveway. It's def coming from the motor and not the trans. Did a compression test today and #3 was 120 and the rest were 100. Any ideas before I pull the motor?

Have a leak down test done on it also. With #3 being higher then the others I wouldn't suspect a problem with that cylinder. As far as the tune, did you get it tuned at a shop or find an OTS tune? Driving to Boston and back doesn't make me think its a fuel quality problem as you probably stopped at random stations on the way. 

JoshP

I think you would see worse numbers from bent valves, at least more variance.  Plus those numbers are all low, below the minimum spec for sure. 

cleans13

I don't have a compressor to do a leak down and yes it was tuned at dsg after we finished the build and break in. I'm racking my brain about what the knock could be, it's really pissing me off

Latest posts

Back