Remote Starters

mikebike357

Can a remote started be installed on a manual tranny car? My rental car for my Turkey Day vacation ('06 Pontiac G6 GT) had a remote starter off of the key fob and it was slick. I started it up while I was inside and let it warm up. Then just went out and hopped into a toasty car. Plus it's good for scaring the crap out of people too.

soposube

I think it can be done today.

The guys at Doctor Stereo seem to really be pushing remote starters, give them a shout.

Evan

actually very easy to do on subarus.

the major problem that most people have on stardard transmission cars is that if you leave it in gear and remote start it, it WILL drive off, and with some force too.

luckily subarus have a 'neutral position sensor' on the tranny. most cars only have 1 plug to the tranny (reverse) so that the lights will pop on when you put it in R, subarus also have one that senses neutral. i'm not sure why. so all you need to do is be smart enough to wire it so that it will only get power to remote start if it is getting signal from the neutral switch (which isn't really that hard to do).

i'm actually going to be installing my alarm/remote start the same way pretty soon here. i would have done it at the garage day if i hadnt been made of 15% tequila the night before.

mikebike357

What kind of remote starter are you getting? I know Subaru makes one but I don't think they make it for the manual tranny Subys. Only the Auto's.

Evan

i've had a viper (DEI) one sitting around for some time now. sitting around for so long i think the remote needs new batteries. i got it at circuit city.

Latest posts

Back