Roof rack protection

Lawdawg

OK, it's time to put on the ski rack. What I do not like is with the impreza body, thule racks actually rest on the paint. There are these four little pads that sit just above the windows. Although I was super careful last year, removing all grit and waxing, there is still some scratching of the clear coat--even with very tight racks.

I was think about putting something between the rack foot pad and the paint, like that clear 3M stuff. Any ideas on what works? Would be nice to be able to remove in the spring without taking the paint off. What about that clear front protection stuff? Can I buy that at a hardware store?

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Hit up RedlineRally. He could probably hook you up with some matching, or close vinyl. single layer should keep you from getting Rack Scars

mikebike357

You may wear thru the 3M Rockblocker type stuff. But it would be worth a shot. I've seen people pull that stuff off after a year and it didn't take the paint off their hood.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
You may wear thru the 3M Rockblocker type stuff. But it would be worth a shot. I've seen people pull that stuff off after a year and it didn't take the paint off their hood.
with my experience it is the little bits of grit that get under the feet. a single or double layer of vinyl under the pad and extending 5-10mm out from the pad should keep that from happening

R

redlinerally

Let me know if you need anything. I am sure I can keep that from happening! Even if we have to double layer the vinyl. It'll come off no prob in the spring with a little bit of "goo-gone"

4WRXter

Skier!
Let me know if you need anything. I am sure I can keep that from happening! Even if we have to double layer the vinyl. It'll come off no prob in the spring with a little bit of "goo-gone"
Clear vinyl, Redline????????

R

redlinerally

Yeah, I can get transparent vinyl. Useless for anything else except this application... and printing on.

4WRXter

Skier!
I would take 8 pieces 6 1/4"x2 1/2" to put under my rack if you're interested in taking the time to cut and mail them. Prolly more PITA than what it is worth for you. If you don't want to I understand. Especially if you have to order a certain amount in.

R

redlinerally

I can do that. No prob. I do need to get that vinyl though... still no problem.

For that size cut, you're looking at a whopping $.75 each... total of $6.00

S&H to you is $1.50

Paypal me the $7.50 plus any donations/tips and we'll be set to go! O0

4WRXter

Skier!
A little later tonight or tomorrow. I'm closing up and headed home now. To be sure I get it right, what is paypal addy?

Latest posts

Back