Skinnier tires in winter?

i-wagon

Wondering if anyone has tried 195s for snows, planning on getting studded 15" snows for next winter, looking for insight

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
The 195's are awesome when it is snowy, and a little squishy when not. but I think they still handled better than 16's with winterforces on brighton's Fozzy XT.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
195/65-15 is the size snow tire we run on the LDR rally cars. 205 tends to plane up on loose snow or slush--bad juju.

had 205/70-15 Hakka Q's on my RS, they were nice on the pavement but a bit toboggan-y in snow or slush.

going back to 195/65-15s for winter duty on next Scoob, whatever that may be. finding 15" wheelz that work w/WRX brakes is 110% worth the effort.

i-wagon

I'm keeping the steelies I have. thanks guys, Now I just need to find non directional studables, or winterforces.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
why non directional?

The Pirelli winter carving tire is an extremely nice winter tire and it is directional.

Jamey

Try using 22540 18's snow Lol I used one snow storm then I put my stock wheels on with pace marks this was before I got wheels redone

i-wagon

My last 2 sets of summers and my last winters were directional, and they ended up wearing funny because I was too lazy to dismount them for rotation

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
My last 2 sets of summers and my last winters were directional, and they ended up wearing funny because I was too lazy to dismount them for rotation
You can still rotate them. They just go front to back.

I don't have nearly as much advanced wear problems with the winters as I do directional summers. (100mi/day all highway and right hand on/off ramps)

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
So just rotate them next time:p

I had 215 55 17 winterforces last year. Went just like a tank
Didn't you total that car in bad weather???

Just saying. 195's are great in the snow. If both my cars didn't have to run 16's 205's that's what I'd rock for a winter tire. I can't afford rally 15's all around.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Driving like a normal person I never had any issues. Probably get the same width snows for this year too, unless a size skinnier is noticably cheaper.

Latest posts

Back