The CEL saga continues

Jimbo

So - lemme start out by saying that I really like the service I get up at Evergreen. I would go there all the time if I didn't live 50 miles from 'em. That said, I have had some CEL appearances in the first 5k miles.

Backstory:

CEL came on after ~400 miles. Misfire detected. CEL light cleared at Autozone. Rinse, repeat three times. I take car into a REAL shop, they end up replacing the coil and plug on cylinder 1 after swapping the coil with cylinder 2 to make sure it's the one causing the bad juju. Because the coil was bad, the plug was fouled...etc. Problem solved...for three weeks.

CEL came on again last Tuesday. I said "eff this", and made an appointment at MMM to have them look at it. I told them about the work that had been done, and that CELs had been triggered for cylinder 1 AND cylinder 3 during my brief relationship with the car. They brought it in, and plugged it into a laptop for "thirteen to fifteen minutes" and recorded a total of four misfires - one per cylinder. They said that over the 22,500 (15 minutes at 1500 RPM) firings, four misfires wasn't abnormal. I then asked them how many misfires would it take to trigger a CEL, and they didn't know.

They asked about the gas in the vehicle. Here's where my obsessive/compulsive drive kicks in: I ONLY GET GAS AT ONE STATION. One. It's the only station in the Portland area (that I've found, anyway) that sells 93 octane fuel. It's the Sunoco station - Scrubadub Car Wash at Woodford's corner. Every time. No exceptions.

Input appreciated here:

They said I have bad gas (my wife would agree, but only after dairy). Their theory was that the gas the station has doesn't "turn over" fast enough to prevent the fuel from degrading by the time I pump it into my car. They think that the gas that starts life as 93 is degrading down to an 89 or an 87 just because the station isn't selling it fast enough. By their own admission, they didn't have an octane testing kit to confirm their theory. Their advice? Put two tanks' worth of 91 octane from a high-traffic gas station and see what happens.

I left MMM with no CEL on. I drove to/from Bangor with no CEL on. The next time I got gas (Saturday night), I went to the Mobil station down on Commercial Street by Becky's, and filled 'er up ('cept for the 3/4 gallon left in the tank) with 91. Started the car, got a CEL IMMEDIATELY.

If you read this far, you've got a better attention span than I do on most days. Any thoughts?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
whoa. Um, I'd try a bottle of 104+ octane boost. If that doesn't help, it isn't the octane rating. Does the car ever feel sluggish?

Jimbo

Sluggish? No. It used to idle rough at fluctuating RPMs before the cylinder 1 fix, but not any more.

Jimbo

And here we go again. CEL just appeared again (I've now got 14.5k on the ODO), and I'm in Bangor for a wedding. Gonna take it in to Advance Auto Parts in Brewer and get them to check the code for me. News at 11.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I hate to ask this.. but what year is your car again?

and do let us know what you get for code(s)

Jimbo

It's an '07...

And I pulled a P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire detected

Given the road-trippiness of this weekend, I ran the fuel lower than I really ever have - took it down to 1/8 tank. I'm not sure whether or not that would play into this symptom at all.

I got the guy at Advance to turn the CEL off for me, in the hopes that it doesn't reappear before my trip from Bangor to Mystic, CT. tomorrow morning...having no cruise control makes baby Jesus cry.

inski

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jim jim jimjeru

You have something wrong going on with Cyl#1&3.
default_smile.png

Its not the gas, or the octane.

Wheres my list of things that cause misfires?...

A few of them have already been covered. Cars aint so easy are they. This is why a one hour diagnosis limit is a joke.

I recommend swapping injectors cross bank (1&4) and seeing what happens. A compression and leak-down test across the board wont hurt either(to look for f-ed up springs, compression, gooey valves) and maybe a coolant system pressure test (head gasket leaking internally, I've seen it). Your paired cyls are coincidentally acting up. Also make sure the intake mani is tight. May the force be with you, torque to manufacturer spec.

Was this helpful?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
His car is warranty. :whip2:

That thing is gonna be a tough one. It doesn't run bad or anything does it?

Jimbo

(Weiting on BlackBerry, so short response)

Heh - thanks, Inski
default_smile.png
. Good advice, and MMM swapped the coil in cyls 1 and 3 to see if the problem followed the coil, or stayed with original cylinder showing issues (was orig cyl 3.)

Yup, car's warranteed out the wazoo on something like this, just gotta get an appt made.

As for CT, I came down here for the second wedding we've had to attend in the last 20 hours.

inski

Yes, the car's engine will naturally misfire a dozen times or so while idling before the computer is allowed to yell out misfire. Its hard to watch them on Subarus, but on GMs you can see each and everyone by watching the scanner. Getting a more rapid misfire to happen when someone is watching is the hard part.

Dont worry a bunch. It will be fixed eventually. Might have to try a couple things before its all ironed out. A few dealer visits now is way better than dealer visits later, when the warranty is gone.

Latest posts

Back