thinking about upgrading my TD04

Wrx911

I am considering upgrading my turbo to the TD06H 20G  besides upgrading my oil lines what else will i need to upgrade?

Right now I have a cobb accessport running a stage 1 tune. I also have a Invidia Q300 dual CBE and a K&N typhoon intake. I am planning on getting a invidia catless downpipe soon.  However i am not planning on upgrading my up pipe as the 08 wrx is catless.

Will i need to install new injectors and a fuel rail? will i need to upgrade my wastegate?

I am pretty new to tuning so excuse me if these questions seem stupid.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, colder plugs. pistons will break though more then likely. 08 motors are made of glass.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
just my 2 cents, but if I were you I would get that downpipe and a tune and see how you like that first. Still reliable but still a good step up in power from stage 1. Upgrading to a big 20g from stock seems a little overkill not to mention you'll probably break something. And you'll need a custom tune.

wish you the best of luck!

Wrx911

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Extended warranty is a good plan. I wouldn't push it past stage 2 with a perfect tune.

JoshP

Just throwing things out there:

I hope u dont care about warranty also..

I would spring for an STi shortblock,and you will probably be able to sell yours for a decent coin.  Then you can go a long way with tuning on the stock turbo.  Even a big 16G would be a nice upgrade. 

RyanR

Just throwing things out there:

I hope u dont care about warranty also..

I would spring for an STi shortblock,and you will probably be able to sell yours for a decent coin.  Then you can go a long way with tuning on the stock turbo.  Even a big 16G would be a nice upgrade. 

Just make sure it's an 04-06 STi shortblock if it's stock.  Otherwise he might has well have kept his 08 motor.
default_additional_roflmao.gif

JoshP

lol true.. Actually its probably just the pistons that need to be replaced.. Im not totally sure, Just do a lot of searching first

RyanR

So if you're going stage 2 (downpipe) on the 08 WRX, supporting mods would be a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, and one step colder plugs, since you already did away with the stock airbox.  Uprated injectors aren't a bad idea, but aren't necessary on your stock turbo.  Some folks put a 3 port EBCS on with the stock turbo, but that's probably overkill unless you have boost control problems.  I would get a wideband o2 sensor to make sure your tune is behaving.

You're probably not looking for these kind of opinions here, but I noticed you have a 911SC.  I would put this 08 wrx back to stock form, get an aftermarket warranty, drive it as a very fun DD, and put my money into fun bits for the 911.  You'll be into this 08 thousands of dollars (depending on your mechanical ability) to build it properly to handle anything over stage 2, even a VF52 turbo swap.  I'm not saying that your car will fail catastrophically if you go stage 2(+), it's just that there is an overabundance of evidence suggesting that the 08 motors in particular are, as Mike said, made of glass.  The 08 WRXs can be had for a great deal, and I don't blame you for jumping on it if you planned for the car to be a mild mannered DD.

If you do choose to move on to stage 2, we're here to answer your questions
default_additional_thumbsup.gif

Wrx911

I actually sold my 911sc a few months ago I had the car for 9 years and I just wasn't driving it as much as I used to so I sold it . I think I am going to wait awhile before going to stage 2 maybe next summer after I upgrade my suspension. I've got a few other projects I need to finish first.

Latest posts

Back