throwing code

ditch_bound

I am probably going to sound like a dumbass but how often does your car throw codes? I have gotten a CEL at least half a dozen times where my check engine light comes on and the cruise light blinks. Wtf is that? Its happend twice that I can remember at full throttle in 4th gear. I have a reflashed ecu but havnt had a code since i reflashed. I imagine its a misfire but what do you think is making it do that? Is it common for a subaru to throw that code so easy?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
It's gonna have to be scanned to find out why it came on. It's got to be something. Unless it's nothing
default_smile.png

On newer models, when the CEL comes on, the cruise light flashes and the cruise won't work. It's suppose to entice you to get it fixed quicker.

Jimbo

Actually, my '07 wagon is at Shorty's place right now for that exact problem. CEL comes on intermittently, and it's thrown (so far) a cylinder 1 misfire and a cylinder 3 misfire code. Comes on at startup. Out of the 3350 miles I've had it, the CEL has easily been on for half of them. Sucks, 'cause I've got a rebuilt right knee that doesn't like staying in one position (think foot on the accelerator for long trips) for too long.

Your reflash helped?

Rightseat

If the CEL is lit, that is proof positive that you are driving a Subaru.

mine has been on since I bought my wagon 2 years ago--and not for lack of trying to fix it.

this is why black elec tape was invented-- it's the ultimate CEL fix, just slap a 1" piece on your dash and presto CEL is gone away

sort of, anyway

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Well I got 15000 + miles and no CEL on MY07 Wagon. Guess I need to drive it harder. Ay Shorty
I don't think that's possible. I saw you at the Jetport Auto-X. I've only seen the CEL once and it was self induced.

inski

Only 2 of my Scoobys have had the CEL illuminate, once. That was on a 97OBS. I was dumping fuel injections cleaner in it, which caused the p0300, multiple misfires. The other was on my 2000RS, something about the air injection solenoid. Solenoid was $40.

Reflashes dont fix fouled spark plugs or ate-up O2 sensors.

If your car is stock there is a fix for the CEL. Why dont you fix it? And why-o-why would anyone drive around with a misfire? Uhm, you're losing power, gas, and eventually your cat will melt down, which costs $1200 if dont have a warranty left.

If your car is still in the 3/36 your diagnosis and repair is free. If not

VIP sells OBDII scanners for $70(might be cheaper now). You can use it over and over and over again. Its the first step in fixing your car....what is your car saying to you?

ditch_bound

i didnt say the reflash helped, i just said it hasnt done it since i did it. The engine light doesn't stay on long and the few times it bothered me i just unhooked the battery for a minute. Its more of an aggravation the a real concern.

Jimbo

Just got my problem (hopefully) solved today. To refresh, I had a CEL with cylinder 1 codes - they pulled the plug and it was fouled (with 3800 miles). They replaced the cylinder 1 plug and coil, cleared the CEL, and we're back in business with a functional cruise (and no melty cat).

I'll post if it reappears.

inski

excessive fuel warms the delicate metals in the cat to the point of inefficiency.

Some melt, some just stop working, some clog the whole flow to the point of stalling and zero accelleration. I haven't seen the latter on Subarus, but happens all the time on Saturns and other 2.2L GMs (early Ecotecs with the faulty coils).

Believe it or not, Subaru did something different and mounted the ign coil on the back of the intake on the newer models. For some unknown reason (cheaper ver.) those coils go bad frequently

Latest posts

Back