tire quest for AX gurus--Rt-615 vs RS-2

Rightseat

OK, it's time for new gumballs on the Miata. Sticking with 14' cause I don't want to buy new wheels and plus the 14" hollow spoke wheels I have are super light, just under 8 lbs per wheel. looking at 195/60-14 size.

which is a better all-round choice, Falken RT-615s or Hankook Rs-2s??

These would be for occasional track day use, perhaps an AX or 3, but mostly used for sporty DD duty. Interested in which would be better choice for wet roads in particular. Which one has more progressive breakaway for dorifto fun? >
default_biggrin.png

Nigel is thanking all tire shredders in advance for the guidance.

ralli

OK, it's time for new gumballs on the Miata. Sticking with 14' cause I don't want to buy new wheels and plus the 14" hollow spoke wheels I have are super light, just under 8 lbs per wheel. looking at 195/60-14 size.

which is a better all-round choice, Falken RT-615s or Hankook Rs-2s??

These would be for occasional track day use, perhaps an AX or 3, but mostly used for sporty DD duty. Interested in which would be better choice for wet roads in particular. Which one has more progressive breakaway for dorifto fun?

Trainable

Despite my complete lack of guru status I will voice in since I have been riding around on the RS2s for awhile.

Ride and road noise (if you care about such things) is not bad at all, I would actually say pretty much comparable to RE92s. Dry grip is great, I have not had the pleasure of driving on the RT-615s but I have no complaints about the RS2s. Wet grip is still very good and they even do well with standing water. They breakaway very progressively IMO, on dry pavement they will start screeching before giving way and even when they do they still feel pretty planted and easily controlled, on wet pavement they still break very gradually and feel predictable once broken loose, and in standing water they breakaway slowish and still give you enough control to keep the car going in the direction it needs to. In the thousand or so miles I have driven on them including a few auto-xes and monsoons I have yet to have the OMG WTF are these tires doing feeling.

So in short I would definitely recommend the RS2s for a DD/play tire, but that is based on 0 experience with the RT-615s.

Latest posts

Back