torn cv boots because of lift?.

05RSKID

So as most of you know I have a lifter 02 rs and I had an 05 lifted rs before.  My question is what can I do to stop tearing my front boots and why I might be tearing them in the 02 but never did in the 05 its the same set up.  Could it be body roll?  The only difference is I had a strut bar and a upgraded rear sway on the 05, but haven't put my sway bar and strut bar on the 02 yet.

Thanks Nathan (05rskid)

Last edited:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
It's very common. Mine ripped on my lifted Forester, and just started on my lifted 02 OBS with Forester struts. You can remove the band on the shaft to allow for some slippage of the boots. Some people spray the boots down with silicone spray so they stay more pliable as well.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Look around online for a second boot that will fit completely over the boot that's already on the axle.

Matt

Sway bar shouldn't have any thing to do with it really. The cv is at a bad angle and prob making the boots rub or over extending and tearing.

05RSKID

you are going the wrong way... lower it
i enjoy off roading way to much to lower my car

Sway bar shouldn't have any thing to do with it really. The cv is at a bad angle and prob making the boots rub or over extending and tearing.
that's what I was thinking but thought it was odd that I drove my 05 for a year with the lift and never ripped a boot and I ripped the boots on the 02 within a month

IBratmanI

i enjoy off roading way to much to lower my car

that's what I was thinking but thought it was odd that I drove my 05 for a year with the lift and never ripped a boot and I ripped the boots on the 02 within a month
Could just be that the little bit of extra age caused them to wear out faster after the lift.

SUBARUDE

If you want to stop it from happening put the lift in the subframe also it will fix the poor angle of the cv's

05RSKID

If you want to stop it from happening put the lift in the subframe also it will fix the poor angle of the cv's
how much lift are the spacers?  what ground clearance will i loose?  Also im guessing i would have to drop the rear also?  sorry for all the questions

IBratmanI

The spacers are around an inch. Make your own or use some from an outback. Then you also have to use the outback steering u joint as well. But that would help the angle for sure.

SUBARUDE

They are 2" spacers from outback or forester and as jason you will need the steering knuckle and also the bushing pieces off the back of the control arm.the rear susp. I wouldn't worry about cause I have never seen the boots rip back there

05RSKID

They are 2" spacers from outback or forester and as jason you will need the steering knuckle and also the bushing pieces off the back of the control arm.the rear susp. I wouldn't worry about cause I have never seen the boots rip back there
thanks I will look into doing this.  So dropping just the front wont bother anything with the drive shaft?

KamB

Kam Berry
A few of my boots are ripped due to my lift. (Forester struts in 94 impreza wagon) but I'm running them until she starts ticking! Then ill ignore it for a couple months and do them. I don't think it's uncommon at all after a lift, but have no guess as to why they didn't on the other car besides just the simple suggestion of they were already on the verge of splitting.

OtterCraft

I have the Forester springs/struts on an 04 WRX wagon, and am on my second set of cv shafts since the lift. I now have a loose boot on a recently replaced cv shaft with about 200 miles on it since new. I have heard of some high quality replacements which other Subaru lift enthusiasts swear by being near bullet proof, but can not recall the manufacturer or distributor. I will be ordering a new set once I figure out the company info so I can be done with this constant problem.

Latest posts

Back