trying to get the top hats off my old struts....HELP

Killerbumblebee

so thanks to gabe, I have WRX struts, and lowering springs...but the old top hats need to come off the old struts. I put the thing in a vice, put a nut on it...and watched the whole thing spin. Thinking I was clever, I put a vice grips on the strut shaft, and tried again...everything just spun. Anyone know any good tricks for getting that top bolt that holds the top hat and the spring onto the strut? THANKS!!!

-Ben

akinaspeedstar

you not gonna be able to do that with hand tools. my pnumatic spring compressor is at evils, and he has a new air gun. but i don't think he has any spare time untill september.

and PLEASE tell me that the sping is in spring a spring compressor. PLEASE! if not takeing that top hat off (if you could even do it) is just asking for serious injury.

akinaspeedstar

just checking. my dad knew a guy that didn't know any better, and zipped off a top hat with out it comepressed. the thing sprung back and broke every bone in his hand, or so the story goes.

as for an impact, i think pedro has one, but he's in wells. im sure if you ask around you can find something. with hand tools you'll never put enough force onto it fast enough to break the nut loose.

internalcombust

you should definately have a spring compressor of some kind. That is just expected when changeing struts. Too dangerous to do without.

Killerbumblebee

got the spring compressor already, just having an impossible time with the nut. I have an allen wrench that fits the strut, but I don't have anyting to use to turn the socket while there is an allen wrench in the hole at the same time. Is a "hollow" socket (however the hell it works, I'm definitly confused) expencive? who would have one? thanks!

EvilAsPie

Using air tools or a hollow socket and allen are the only ways i know how to do it.

Mikebike has a set of the "hollow sockets." But i don't know how much they were. Mike???

EvilAsPie

Yeah the ratchet is hollow too. The sockets lock in the ratchet on the outside of socket rather then the inside. Looks like the ones in the link. Doesn't really matter how they work as long as you can get an allen down the center of them while turning the ratchet.

Evan

i've got an 450ft/lb air gun and spring conpressors here in cumberland if you're around afternoons during the week, and i'll be around this weekend too.

i've taken may struts apart without air tools or even vise grips. i used a long handle/short jaw set of pliers. i think they are about 8" long handles and 2" jaws. i put a rag around the strut shaft so it wouldnt get scratched, rested the compressed strut on its side on the ground, put the pliers on the shaft so that one handle is against the ground and the other is sticking up in the air about 3", i stepped on the one sticking up with about 120lbs of weight (most of it, but still had my other foot down) and the leverage of the long handle multiplied the weight. then i just used a 17mm socket to loosen the top nut.

with the air gun i just blast it off.

RallyGuy24

Yeah, I also have a good impact gun. I'm in Windham, if you want to stop by in the evening anytime this week or weekend.

Latest posts

Back