Tune Required?

NatesBeaulieu

I have a 2011 impreza wrx and I was planning on getting an intake for it, either AEM or Cobb. I'm also looking into getting an Invidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust. Does this require me to get a tune or can I run these parts without a tune? Also, for the intake which one does you guys recommend? Pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

TempTags15

The catback does not require tuning. The intake, however does need a tune to run safely. The 08's and up have fairly lean stock tunes, and installing an intake will lean it out even further.

If you are going to do it and get a tune, get a downpipe instead of an intake. You'll get way better performance gains, and once you start tuning you create warranty problems anyway

Nate

Founding Father
Intakes are good for noise, and unleashing a few last ponies. But does require tuning.

Get one if you want, but if you're not ready to financially get into tuning your car, and buying parts, then don't do an intake yet. Wait till you go stage 2 so your only paying to tune once. Its a better use of your money. Todd on the catback, and enjoy the rumble.

NatesBeaulieu

Thanks for the info guys.. Looks like I'll be saving my money so when I go stage 2 I'll just have to tune it once. I'll still get the catback exhaust though, I need a little more rumble. lol

Iboc_C64

Doesn't the 2011 have a pretty nice rumble to it anyway? I kept my stock exhaust on my 2009 so far. I rarely attract police attention. Been pulled over once for speeding and once for Excessive Acceleration since purchase. I deserved the speeding ticket but the Excessive Acceleration warning was bull$hit, he was mad because he felt that I embarrased him in front of several pedestrians by taking off too fast right in front of him. I stopped accelerating when I hit 35mph so he really didn't have to be such a turd about it. I also didn't make any extra noise (which is what that law it is intended to limit), and the pedestrians were witness to that.

Latest posts

Back