Turbo Restrictor...Retune Required?

LB04LB

I am required to run a restrictor on my 2004 STI hillclimb car for the Mt. Washington event.  It is bone stock except for a K&N air filter.  Do I NEED to get a retune after it's installed? I realize that I could get more power with a tune, but this car has been dead reliable and plenty fast for 3 seasons now and I'm not one to mess with a winning formula.  Any and all help is appreciated.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Fit the restrictor, do a test drive and then I think you'll see you DO want a retune. That friggin restrictor opening is about the size of a ping-pong ball. Hint hint.

We run a restrictor in the Last Ditch Racing STI rally car, and the car's tune very much favors low-end torque. Because of the restrictor, theres just not much airflow and motor runs out of oomph above 5500, so we had it tuned to give the max below that, then just short-shift up or down from there.

See yez at CTTC, looks like we have been accepted to run as well!

LB04LB

Oh I have no doubt I'll wish I had a tune.  If time and budget allows, I'll look into one, but for now I'll keep that on the non-critical To-Do list.  Thanks so much for the reply, glad to see more Mainers are in the event! See you there!

Latest posts

Back