Upgrade on braking for '04 WRX

OtterCraft

I am in need of replacing the calipers in front along with rotors/pads front and rear so was pondering of a 4 pot caliper setup upgrade from Subaru or an STI take-off. Anyone have any advice on fitment issues on a stock '04 WRX with 16 inch wheels?

02 WRX Chris

If your gonna try to go with the 4 pot 06-07 WRX limited brakes, you need 16X7 wheels for them to clear.  I don't think your stock wheels will clear the brakes.  Other than that, I don't think you need anything too special to do that brake upgrade.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah the stock 02-05 WRX wheels won't clear the 4 pot brakes. The 06-07 came with 4 pots, so their wheels will clear. And if you wanted to use Brembo front brakes from an STi, you will need 04 STi wheels to clear, or an aftermarket wheel with the correct specs.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Go with stock size and get better pads, rotors, SS lines, and a brake brace. 4pots or sti junk with garbage rotors and pads will get beat by a better setup smaller setup. Step up in size when you start overheating your smaller stuff.

IBratmanI

And I have yet to have that experience. I have had a few different high quality rotors and pads before, and then stepped up to 4 pots, and there was a big difference. Then I went to Brembos with stock rotors and pads, and that was a HUGE difference. They are very expensive though. Not saying that you can't improve the stock brakes a ton, but in my experience, going to bigger calipers, and rotors was a lot more noticeable.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I get my advice from people who work on time attack and rally cars in australia, so yeah please tell us more about spending money you don't have to spend.

IBratmanI

I get my advice from people who work on time attack and rally cars in australia, so yeah please tell us more about spending money you don't have to spend.
And how many people race their cars on here? I'm not talking about racing. I'm taking about normal driving, and the occasional spirited driving. I also stated this was my experience, and while I don't race my car, I do have a fair amount of experience driving and playing with these cars. 

IBratmanI

Lol. Not everyone has the same goals as you do Dan. You have to remember that. 

But you are correct, EBay is where it's at yo!

IBratmanI

My goals are getting the best bang for your buck, not bolting on shit to make my modlist bigger so yeah I'm completely wrong sorry bro.
You're not at all wrong in that aspect. But some people are in this hobby to do just that, bolt things on to their car, to make their mod list longer. Not saying that's right, but it's all in an individuals taste. 

I wanted to say more, but it doesn't pertain to the OP's question.

OtterCraft

I just need some info on brakes, and didn't mean to start a rotor size battle here. LMAO.

New rotors are in need along with all the other braking goodies so spending a bit more coin to get a bitn better braking

is what I am looking for. Being the money has to be spent on something kinda necessary like brakes on a vehicle I figured why not improvement over stock. Sorry my mods list is very short, and it does nothing for my ego to have a modded out rice ride. I seek better performance, handling, and functionability when it comes to a vehicle in this part of the woods.

Thanks for the info, and the laugh battling over rotor/caliper size.

OtterCraft

I don't even know why I bother anymore.

Just order the most drilled and slotted rotors from ebay and call it a day I guess
LMFAO! I no like cheapo brake components or car parts. Learned those lessons years ago building street racers in SoCal. I like go, hell with the show.

IBratmanI

LMFAO! I no like cheapo brake components or car parts. Learned those lessons years ago building street racers in SoCal. I like go, hell with the show.
you cN get some quality parts from ebay. But don't bother with cross drilled rotors lol.

Latest posts

Back