Utec on stock WRX

Car Whore

Should I do injectors? Downpipe at least? Just wondering what the minimum I need is.

I just looked on their site actually,and noticed they run stages like Cobb.

Nevermind...you can basically tune it to whatever you have....duh.

Runnah

I just did the downpipe.

I have a VF-39 sitting at home, along with and up pipe.

Everyone tells me to do everything at once. So im waiting until I get a new fuel pump, injectors and u-tech before I go ahead with the turbo swap.

katnip

the car is black. I swear
So Chris J. you've built an atuocrosser and rallycrosser, so are you gonna come spank it in Rocherster next weekend? Sounds like a pretty car friendly facility.

If you have solved the rex's biggest porglem, slow spooling, you will do well. Many of the rex owners are having a problem with that and just run in first bouncing off the rev limiter. :-

K

chris.j

I make no claims as to having solved the problem
default_frown.gif

Previous post edited to reflect

The new tranny really set back my allowance or I would show you how this Mainer plays in the dirt.

Car Whore

Chris..good post,and I agree with your view on modding.The first and only thing I have added to my car so far has been gauges...boost,egt and oil temp.I did this for the exact reasons you mention...to know what stock is and what to look for in the future.

I have planned out the stages of my mods,but they keep changing.The car is my daily driver and will mostly be a street car,but I would like to do at least a couple of events,but probably NOT drag racing.Track day and rallycross/autocross are preferred.I want to have a great feeling and responsive car that will keep most STi's honest.A big horesepower number isn't what I'm looking for really,but around 300-350hp sounds reasonable as long as it is reliable and isn't too much for the 5spd tranny.

My next step WAS going to be rear sway bar as well,but I wanted to hear from others if it really is a big improvement.I kinda want to keep the stock 16" wheels for stealth and money reasons as well,but change tires possibly,and maybe a set of springs.A nice set of 17-18" wheels would be great,as long as they were not much heavier.I'd also rather have a fast stock-looking car than a slow stock car on nice rims,though.Maybe wheels later when I decide what I really want.

225/50/16s sound great,but some people have said turn-in is sluggish compared to stock.I really don't want that,even though there would be more ultimate grip.....I don't drive at the limit most of the day!

Engine-wise,a stealthback dp/centerpipe combo with the stock axle-back is next for sure.I love the boxer sound,but I don't want too much attention,so if this allows me to turn up the wick as much as I need plus gives a little bit more sound but not much more than stock,it will be perfect.An up-pipe also is certain,but I think I'll do that along with a turbo upgrade when I get there because of the labor.

That's what brought me to thinking maybe I should do the Utec,as I was and still may do the Cobb AP.The Utec just seems more complete and upgradable,although I think I'd be happy with the Cobb Stage 2 also for a bit,especially since I can do that myself really..no tuning needed.

chris.j

If your interested, you can take my rex for a spin and check out the rear sway. I have mine set very stiff and it made a HUGE difference! Just need to lift the rear end a little, doesn't want to oversteer enough for my taste, but I'm still learning the new setup.

Kathy: My snows are studded, and not mounted on rims. My current tires are ES100's that have about 2/32" left. Not gonna get much in the way of traction

katnip

the car is black. I swear
Kathy: My snows are studded, and not mounted on rims. My current tires are ES100's that have about 2/32" left. Not gonna get much in the way of traction
Traction, smaction. ;D Always feel free to come to the events to spectate or ride along. There is alway someone willing to give rides. Unfortunuately, I can't guarantee you won't get hooked riding along.
default_frown.gif

Kathy

Latest posts

Back