WBM '08 = FAIL

Redline

That's right - done. Cancelled.

Reason? Lack of large vendors and experienced volunteers.

default_smile.png

Ah - the good 'ol days of a small, more manageable meet... gone. :sad5:

Rightseat

What's the surprise here?

WBM started out as a fun grassroots thing, and grew too fast for its own good. Org group failed to professionalize the event, and serious volunteer burnout was the result. Not to mention huge disappointment in the Suby community.

A high-profile Subaru meet attended by thousands of scooby-sportin enthusiasts is too big a commercial opportunity to be run half-baked by a crew of overworked volunteers. It needs to be run by a PAID group of overworked ppl, and run like a real live business.

One of my jobs is promoting an annual boat show in Rockland. in 6 years it's grown from a fun get-togther of Maine boatbuilders into a nationally recognized event with over 300 exhibitors and a paid gate upwards of 15,000. It's an 11-months-a-year effort, with 2 full time staffers and a seasonal crew of 6 to 8, plus event-weekend volunteer crew of 25-30, coming from groups like Babe Ruth b-ball and high school soccer teams, Kiwanis, Rotary clubs, etc..

As a show promoter, I'm amazed the WBM lasted as long as it did.

mikebike357

I suspect that WBM will be back. It'll get picked up by someone and professionally run. There are huge Suby meets out west but WBM was the biggest in the east... it'll be back.

Back