Wheel Cleaning

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
Its been a long winter and I decided to clean up the DRTYWGN today with a wash and some spray wax...nothing big and she'll be filthy by tomorrow. Either way, most of you know that I have really white wheels. Right now with the wash the wheels are still pretty nasty. I can wipe away the break dust (kind of a yellowish coating now...the pads and rotors are being replaced this weekend). The wheels come clean with some rubbing with just a terry cloth...but it will take forever to get them all done up that way I like...

So, what are some good wheel cleaning products I can use to clean up these bad boys? I know from looking at NASIOC there are some spray and walk away...then come back later and hose-down products....any thoughts/suggestions?

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
Eagle One Etching cleaner. THis stuff is real good but very caustic. You have to rinse your wheels very well ot it will corrode the wheel lips.

GClark

1. Don't ever have white wheels. Worst ever.

2. I used armor wheel cleaner on my white wheels. I sprayed them with water, sprayed the wheel cleaner, waited 60 seconds and got to scrubbing. After scrubbing a wheel with a cloth, I hose it down and then go back with a cloth and get any spots I missed. Worked perfectly every time.

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think that I might try the powerball from Mothers (although I'm a Meguiar's guy at heart). You're right Garrett, white wheels can be a pain in the neck, but when that are all cleaned up nothing beats them!! I'll let you all know how it works out and thanks again.

inski

I've got a gallon of wheel acid. I could give you a cup or 2 but you'll have to come up with your own spray bottle. One cup mixed properly (half water half acid) will do your wheel 2-3 times. It works awesome even lifts pitted brake dust. It was $22/gal 6 years ago. I'm not even half way thru the gallon yet. I have never tried it on gloss white wheels like yours.

krazykarpenter

To be honost I use WD40. I spray it on a micro-fiber cloth and it cleans them wheels great and leaves them looking shiny and new. It also makes them easier to clean the next time that you do it.

Iboc_C64

wheel acid eats anodized colors off brushed aluminum and eats some paints. It can also trigger long term lung problems if not used in a well ventalated garage or outdoors. don't get any sprayed on your face, especially your eyes. It hurts liked a MOFO.

AiRX

It's gonna take some time for you to clean those no matter what. When the weather is better and they are spotless, take some quality wax and do those puppies up just like you would your paint. It saves cleaning time in the long run. A couple of good coats of wax go a long way.

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
Wow, so many people looking to help out! Thanks again guys. I know that its going to take some time to get the wheels as clean as I would like....I guess I'm looking for a "work smarter, not harder" approach. While I still think that I'll go with the powerball, a coat of wax isn't a bad idea either....in the mean time, I might go ahead and give the WD40 a shot before my real summer cleaning comes around. Thanks again guys.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
I have some odd tips.

I actually drive my car.

free flowing exhaust, good system grounds...this keep wheels clean like magic. Steel hangs on to paint, alloys get a load off (they are the final conductor)

my 87 did something freakish with right headgasket...to rear left wheel

default_blink.png

all invisibles.

subes are designed to cave in...hovering in a crazy boxer world. let it breathe and fire...one end to the other.

Ray

The Northernah'
I have some odd tips.

I actually drive my car.

free flowing exhaust, good system grounds...this keep wheels clean like magic. Steel hangs on to paint, alloys get a load off (they are the final conductor)

my 87 did something freakish with right headgasket...to rear left wheel

default_blink.png

all invisibles.

subes are designed to cave in...hovering in a crazy boxer world. let it breathe and fire...one end to the other.
totally get what your saying right there...

wait what!?

Latest posts

Back