Windshield Leaking?

RedForester08

Well here it is 2001 Forester S with winter package. Heated windshield near the wipers. While vacuuming the car the carpet seamed wet on the drivers side under the rubber winter mats. so I rolled up the carpet on the drivers side. Yup wet right in the middle on the metal floor board. When we bought the car it had a very slight mildew odor but it went away with a good cleaning. The weather strip on the outside drivers side was missing and the dealer had a local mechanic install a new one. Now today a realize he was a moron and did not know how to install this. He drilled out the slots on the new trim and just used black silicon to stick it on. Well it just popped off in my hand while looking around to see what I could see. After a week from buying the car and while cleaning the car the inside trim on the same side was loose. I removed it a found that some one had broken all the tabs and just used black sealant to stick it back on. WTF. Now It makes some sense as to why these things were like this. Some one must have been looking for the leak. Now when looking really close I see it Holy
default_wink.png
crap the windshield is cracked from one side to the next about 4 inches up and 6 inches in from each end coming from the bottom edges both sides. Would a cracked windshield cause a slight leak? We drove over 100 miles yesterday in the rain. Now it is showing it's self. How much $$$ is this going to cost? I am going to the local mechanic and slap him with the molding. (not really but would like to) and get him to at least pay for a new piece as it is clear he monkey it up. It does seem that it has been leaking for some time as the seat bracket and bolt(front driver's door side) are corroded some and the rest look like new.

SUBARUDE

you don't see to many windshield leak from the bottom because it is covered at the bottom

i would pull the carpet back and run a hose in the spot you are thinking and see if anything comes through

RedForester08

Talked to the glass shop tonight. New glass going in tomorrow. They are also doing a leak test. They said the crack is not the leak but if the glass was changed and the installer did not bed the sealant bead they will form a really small leak somewhere. We'll know tomorrow.

RedForester08

Well just got back from Champion Glass.

Windshield is being replaced.

We also found the leak.

Not in the glass but through the firewall where the clutch master cylinder is bolted on. On the top of it. Suggestions?

Latest posts

Back