WRX Brakes vs 15 inch rims version: eleventy two

ReZPunK

yesterday after the RallyX i was talking to Kathy Moody about stuff. and i saw her wheel spacers and asked why for. she responds: came with DMS to prevent wheels from hitting coils. and i swear she could have heard the "ding" of the light bulb over my head as a thought to myself...could it work?

ok so in the age old battle of WRX versus 15 inch rims, i ask this question.how much does one have to shave off a caliper to make a 15" rim fit? and if its a small amount, could a 5 or 7 mm spacer do the trick and maintain hub centricity?

thoughts?

just a reminder that i am cheap and dont like spending money when a less expensive solution presents itself.

Redline

unsure of the answer to your question... but...

one thing to consider when thinking of this is whether it will cause your rim to be pushed too far out to clear your fender wall.

you'll most likely need longer studs to get enough teeth on the nut, as well.

SUBARUDE

you could always use 90-94 or so legacy turbo front caliper set up (rotor and caliper bracket) to accomplish this cause they use a 2 pot caliper and run 15" rims stock

ReZPunK

unsure of the answer to your question... but...

one thing to consider when thinking of this is whether it will cause your rim to be pushed too far out to clear your fender wall.

you'll most likely need longer studs to get enough teeth on the nut, as well.
about 6.5mm is 1/4 inch but the gravels will most likely be a 185/60/15 or at the most a 195/65/15, it might offset the spacer. hrm..

Rightseat

so dummy up some spacers with a bunch o washers to test if it'll work. Try different 15s and see what works.

I had to grind the outer edge of the front calipers to fine-tune the fit over 15" Revo Motorsports. It made a noticeable difference in fitment if the brake pads were a leetle thinner than brand-new.

If you find somethang that works, get hub-centric spacers from H&R, probably $125 a set. Non-hubcentric spacers lead to vibration issues because they rely on lugs alone to keep wheel centered. if the offset is more than about 15mm different from stock, realize that the change in roll center may make for weird handling effects.

search STM for Pedro's post about 15" alloys that fit rexes, nice looking spokers from Tire Rack, like $70 each.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I don't know if my wheels will fit the sliding type calipers (the 4pots actually have more clearance)

RedForester08

I'm running 15,s on my 07 Impreza which has the older style 2pot front and 1 pot rear like the WRX's use to run before the pretty red 4 pots. I think they are Sport edition 2's from the Tire Rack and 15x6.5 50mm offset

What brake setup do you have on your car?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I'm running 15,s on my 07 Impreza which has the older style 2pot front and 1 pot rear like the WRX's use to run before the pretty red 4 pots. I think they are Sport edition 2's from the Tire Rack and 15x6.5 50mm offset

What brake setup do you have on your car?
The RS calipers are different than the sliding WRX calipers. but if someone wants to stop at my place and pop a wheel off I will toss one of my 15's on to see about clearance.

RedForester08

Well the WRX and the Impreza seam to use the same pads up till 2006. Did they not use the same calipers. Gabes WRX looks to have the same set-up my car has stock. Shorty can ya shed some light on this??

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
The calipers are different part numbers. but I don't know what the difference is. Anybody with a 2002-2005 WRX in the Wells area want to try a 15" wheel on for size??

Latest posts

Back