Computer Thread

Stein

Stein
Trying not to keep Inski's thread off of the tracks, this is from over there:

I know I am gonna get flamed for this but I hate Macs with a passion. My solution? Hit it with a baseball bat a few times. If that doesn't fix it, get a PC Desktop and order cheap replacement parts with good reviews from Newegg. I also never use an antivirus, they cause more problems than they fix if you are a sensible computer user. I remove viruses manually. Always have more than 1 computer so you can have one to look up how to fix any problems that do pop up (Ussually software conflict related, due to the millions of apps available for PCs). PCs are cheaper IMO because they are more common, and so are thier parts and repair solutions because any ID10T with some time can fix one. Also they get more viruses and malware because people don't bother to write viruses for Macs because there aren't enough of them for the virus to efficiently spread. Which would render a virus useless. Also everyone likes to talk about how reliable Macs are but they brake at least as often as PCs and cost more for the brand name labeled parts. Macs are better at photography and music why? Because Apple had to focus on something and PCs already had cornered the market on all the money making worthwile Ideas. So apple says, lets make our computers appeal to "alternative thinkers" and "creative types" and all those other people that don't use thier computer to make a living. I really dislike Macs. I also don't like how the Maine school system prepares kids for a life of using PCs by training them on MAC. How many law firms and engineering firms and doctors offices and auto repair facilities use macs? Which leads me to another point, there is not as many software options when it comes to Macs. Sorry guys, my beliefs are pretty firm. End Rant, let the flaming begin.
I'm a die-hard PC user, but I use a macbook for school (MLTI...).

I hate the laptop with a passion, but that doesn't mean its a bad computer. Sure, the programs all crash, and often, and sometimes when waking up it "forgets" to load a driver (like the trackpad, and OSX does not have the ability to be fully keyboard boased
default_rolleyes.gif
), but my PC does this too. Although, it is 8 years old to the macbook's 1. The only difference is that the PC is much easier to get working again, though I believe this is just because I work with it more.

What I have a big problem with is how horribly unoptimized everything feels on the laptop. Even as I type this, my cursor is lagging behind my typing by full words. Why? Because my post suddenly hit the "kill screen" in length and the mac is struggling to keep track of all that horrible text at once.

I don't know what I ended up doing with this post. I feel like I started out trying to defend the mac from the point of view of a PC user, but decide for yourself what I'm saying
default_additional_old.gif

My standpoint: If anybody, ANYBODY, asks for a computer recomendation, I say go custom PC, let me build it and support it for you. If that's too complicated, buy an HP (I prefer compaq ever since they got bought out by HP) or a Dell.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Pro-tip: All OS's suck, everything sucks, everything has a flaw, you can circle jerk all day about how your os is better then mine until the cows come home.

If you can do what you need to on your computer, be it music, email, office, movies, whatever, as long as your OS does what you need out of it and you are happy with that, congratulations. It's when people take that little part of there brain that's used for religion, sports, cars, hobbies, or something else, and turn that interest into blind zealotry for their product to the point where they have to instigate discussions as to why their ****ty OS is better than my ****ty OS and how smug and right they are, that's when I have a problem.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I don't really like windows, or mac. I like windows less than mac, but I don't like either.

I use linux. There is a program out there to make it do pretty much whatever I want. And if there isn't, or it doesn't do something how I like. I write a program to do it. It is a wonderful system because it is so flexible. I can make it look and operate just as I'd like. I can run it on my wireless router, my modem, on my mp3 player, etc. So I can connect everything up nicely and easily. Say what you will about linux and me being a geek, but it is an absolutely wonderful system.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I don't really like windows, or mac. I like windows less than mac, but I don't like either.I use linux. There is a program out there to make it do pretty much whatever I want. And if there isn't, or it doesn't do something how I like. I write a program to do it. It is a wonderful system because it is so flexible. I can make it look and operate just as I'd like. I can run it on my wireless router, my modem, on my mp3 player, etc. So I can connect everything up nicely and easily. Say what you will about linux and me being a geek, but it is an absolutely wonderful system.
Linux is legit, but there are some things I couldn't get over with it that bugged me when it comes to using it as a desktop OS. I still run it on my storage computer, mdadm 4x 500gig drive raid 5 ftw. I set it up with no clue what I was doing, and it still works great as a NAS 24/7 rock solid. It's nearly full, so I'll have to build a new one once I graduate and have some disposable income....

Like I said above, as long as you're happy with what you use and don't try and convert everyone and there mom I'm good.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I don't try to convert people ever to linux. I don't feel like dealing with their problems with it ... I don't even convert people to mac. Even though I like them more. my clients using windows XP is pretty good job security ...
default_rolleyes.gif

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I don't try to convert people ever to linux. I don't feel like dealing with their problems with it ... I don't even convert people to mac. Even though I like them more. my clients using windows XP is pretty good job security ...
default_rolleyes.gif
Sounds good to me. After using vista and 7 with their automatic driver installs through windows update, I could never go back to XP for desktop daily office stuff. Plus I game, (wine and the other layers available aren't good enough) so the other OS's are out.

I have to use OSX in the comp labs at school for my web design classes. While the file manager is garbage, I enjoy dragging and dropping files onto the corresponding programs on the dock to open them. The usability is great in some areas, but dog **** in others.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Macs are great in some areas. I used macosx for a while and I have to say, I liked it. I just like linux a lot more.

I don't game. But if I did I guess I'd dual boot my computer to windows. Make it an Wintendo.

Tyler

I hate the laptop with a passion, but that doesn't mean its a bad computer. Sure, the programs all crash, and often, and sometimes when waking up it "forgets" to load a driver (like the trackpad, and OSX does not have the ability to be fully keyboard boased
default_biggrin.png
), but my PC does this too. Although, it is 8 years old to the macbook's 1. The only difference is that the PC is much easier to get working again, though I believe this is just because I work with it more.

What I have a big problem with is how horribly unoptimized everything feels on the laptop. Even as I type this, my cursor is lagging behind my typing by full words. Why? Because my post suddenly hit the "kill screen" in length and the mac is struggling to keep track of all that horrible text at once.

I don't know what I ended up doing with this post. I feel like I started out trying to defend the mac from the point of view of a PC user, but decide for yourself what I'm saying
default_biggrin.png

My standpoint: If anybody, ANYBODY, asks for a computer recomendation, I say go custom PC, let me build it and support it for you. If that's too complicated, buy an HP (I prefer compaq ever since they got bought out by HP) or a Dell.

DON'T BUY HP! Customer support sucks hard. Should I replace a KNOWN defective part with another one that's just going to break again for almost $500, or should I buy a new laptop? Guess which I did
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I had a wonderful levovo. It was the thinkpad T61p with high resolution 1400x1050 screen. Dual 2.6GHz, 4GB ram, and a nice nvidia card. Got 3 hours battery life. Wonderful laptop. The only laptop I've ever had brand new. I took great care of it.

2 weeks after warranty it blew smoke and they wouldn't cover it
default_biggrin.png

That was a very sad day. Now you can't even get a laptop like that anymore. Nor can I really afford one. So I'm using my old free macbook...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I don't care much about speed. before the lenovo I had a compaq armada. 266MHz P2, 192MB ram, 5GB hard drive. It did everything I really needed on a laptop. I got the lenovo because that died, I figured it was time for a well needed upgrade.

So speed isn't the reason I'm not getting a netbook. it is because I have big fat fingers and can't type very fast on the netbooks. And I do a lot of work on my laptop. Even the macbook has a crappy keyboard, I can only punch out around 80-90wpm

seph

I have a Toshiba Satellite that I got Jan 2004, I've had some issues w/ it but since the warranty has run out I haven't had any problems. My room mate did break off the pin in the charger socket, so I had to disassemble it, desolder the connector and rig up a new cord for it. It has gotten some weird looks when I take it out in the airport, but it still works. I've upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 1.2GB, other than that my 2.8GHz Pent 4 works great. The 32MB of VRAM on the other hand....not so much.

Iboc_C64

default_wink.png

default_additional_iam.gif

I like your response Nate. BTW I think I went overboard on that post but that's why I called it a rant. I don't care for Macs. They have thier advantages but are no where near as good as Apple advertises them to be. They have flaws and Apple likes to divert attention from them. It just irritates me that, other than in schools, I have never seen a Mac used professionally or for business. Yet people like to claim they are better than PCs and that's not true. They are virtually the same as far as hardware goes, but software compatibility is a problem. The problem with PCs is that they outnumber Macs, which makes them more vulnerable to attack becuase they are well known and more common. If you want to create a virus to spread worldwide, you would make it for a PC because that's what everything important runs on so they are everywhere. Also, as I stated before, I don't believe that you can easily do any kind of design or engineering on a Mac other than graphics design. You can't run AutoCAD on it natively either. Also the absolute most annoying feature of macs, at least for me, is the single mouse button and no right click context menus. Feel free to correct me, I haven't repaired one since 2005 so things may have changed, but I doubt it.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Now they are more or less the same hardware, but wicked over priced. I'll give you that. They used to be PPC with was their strong point. The single mouse button drives me nuts!!! The shiny screens are horrible (I just prefer the old style matte screens).

About attacks though, the mac system is more secure in that respect. The way the system is laid out, and the permissions make it more secure. Can't deny that.

The other thing is that the apple hardware and software are designed in the same company, so there aren't any compatibility or driver issues like you get with windows. Which is nice.

As I said though, I don't really like either. So I'm not taking sides, I'm just stating facts.

Since I use linux, I'd way prefer to use a PC laptop due to the fact that they have the correct amount of mouse buttons, they aren't missing keys. Like del, ins, page up/down, etc. Not having those drives me nuts. Also the macbook has those chicklet keys which are annoying as hell. The trackpad is to big... etc, etc. I do like the compactness of the macbook and the hours of battery life.

To me, it is just a laptop. I can get my work done on it. Some day I'll get something better for free.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
has anyone stopped at socket 478, or 479/604? no land grid array for me. The day they made down syndrome compatible with computer building is the day I stopped evolving, no offense, a supremacy has to happen. crazier than a slot one these days...

it is the first time I have halted myself from moving on. In fact I just bought the last chipset motherboard for a 478 (the 875). I did find an odd one here or there with kater chips, but ddr2 did not start off with prescotts, I stay behind for reasons...

and I still have 380 watts power for 4hdd system, 4gb ram ecc capable, with a server northbridge chip renamed..called an 875pbz.

HT..check...

dual core incognito...check...

130watt cpu actually using 130 watts...check...

725mhz in the CL3 latency agp...check...

why upgrade. A half billion transistors is enough for me and the hog..called microsoft. with a latency brutalized today into no presicion.

speaking of computing, what up with the sudden appearance change here? totally different, and i got redirected from normal link. it seems blurry, like feeding an lcd where it shouldn't be. Weird.

default_biggrin.png

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You give both new subarus and new computers a pretty bad rap. Get with it man, technology moves on for the better. If you wish to live in the past, at least don't bad mouth the present without at least giving it a try!

seph

I upgraded a few months ago to a Phenom II 810 AM3, MSI 790GX-G65 MB, 4 GB Patriot Viper RAM, and I'm in serious need of a new video card...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
are you looking for a powerful card? Or just something to run your system on?

I have an ATI 3450HD I'd part with.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
All my computers at home suck cause after working on them all day i don't care what mine are as long as they work. But i do have about 5 running all the time including my server with 1TB Raid. I keep all my music, movies, pictures, etc on there. It's almost full!
Haha, same here. My computer doesn't even really have a case. just bolted to a shell with hard drives and stuff just sitting there. not all to mobile...

And my 1TB raid5 is almost full too.

But, yesterday I got a new free computer. 2.8GHz hypertreaded P4, 2GB ram, fancy case, nothing special... except. a gem inside.

Hardware raid5 3ware card with 4 300GB SATA hard drives. SCORE!!

Latest posts

Back