Computer Thread

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
oh god, a P4, I'm so sorry for you...
Pretty slow machine compared to my 3.0GHz core2 quad with 4GB ram, but the RAID is nice. Trying to think of how to use it now, Gee, it isn't often you just have an unused 900GB hardware raid5 looking for a good use
default_additional_party.gif

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I installed debian on it to play around with something. It actually isn't to bad for doing most things. I did used to have a dual 1GHz P3 with 768MB ram as my main machine. But in the last year I have sort of gotten used to my desktop being snappy fast.

And at the same time a 266MHz P2 with 196Mb ram, and 4GB drive as my laptop...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'm not sure what you're asking... Sun's system is Solaris, and MS's system in Windows ....

Stein

Stein
Sun Microsystems (sorry)

Yes, Solaris is what I was thinking of. My mom's work uses it on blade servers for physics simulations.

seph

"RAID 5 Migration In Progress"

And I just bought a Video card (since I'm not deploying, it didn't make sense before). Bought an ATI 5770, and DiRT looks awesome, and I'm waiting to finish downloading DiRT2 on Steam.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
In response to nate trying to derail another thread with computer chatter.

Dvorak.

Switching wasn't too bad. I didn't mark my keys, that would encourage me to look at the keys. A bad habit I had in qwerty. I figured if I started off by looking at the keys to learn I wouldn't be getting anywhere. So I used an on-screen keyboard and learned dvorak and how to touch type at the same time. I used a picture of a dvorak keyboard in the bottom left of the screen. It was transparent, floated on top of windows, but I could click through it. Linux is cool
default_additional_sillylol.gif

I could do about 65wpm in qwerty, and after a good deal of typing it started to really hurt my wrists, the switch to dvorak and learning how to actually type correctly helped that greatly. Now, I can do about 60 or 70 on qwerty if I really put my mind to it. Since I work on computers quite often I need to be able to still type it relatively well or I'd look like an idiot to clients and never get anything done. But when I'm doing personal stuff dvorak is a dream to use. Especially if it's on my ergonomic split keyboard. For the most part I can type faster than I can think. But that says more about me being a little slow than my typing speed ...

I still don't like typing on any layout on my laptop because it's a stupid macbook and it has an awful keyboard ... It was free though so I can't say to much bad about it...

And it's just another thing to make it hard for anyone to use my already weirdly set up computer. Except, I have a special keyboard command on my laptop that make it qwerty and opens up a little window for files and selecting programs so my girlfriend can use my laptop

That was a long post because I like to go on and on and not read what I say, so to sum it up, dvorak keyboard layout is awesome and you should all learn it if you're a true computer geek like I am
default_biggrin.png

Stein

Stein
I'm currently writing a response in the computer thread. You know, the one that was made because you keep derailing threads with computer talk
Oh yeah, this thread.

Working on learning linux by first learning unix Terminal commands (in OSX
). Terminal was required for me to get AM and P servers running (Apache, MySQL, PHP) to learn web programming. No silly executable to make things easy.

Dvorak is definitely on my todo list, but so is a lot of other stuff (like finishing my Acrylic case build after multiple years).

Last edited by a moderator:

rsalomon13

So you are still sticking with the web programming? Good to see, let me know if you have any questions. Oh and it would technically be an Apache server running php
default_wink.png

Stein

Stein
I haven't had much time for it. I've been trying to make my basement a home theater
default_wink.png

P.S.: I hate being on a single core again. Everything feels so slow to respond. My poor opteron X2 died for no reason about a month ago.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I haven't used a single core for a long time, my laptop is a dual, and my desktop is a quad. I've gotten addicted to fast computers. Dvorak is definitely nice, but not for everyone. Same with linux.

Nae, have you thought about learning ruby on rails? I've started to learn it, but in the mass of stuff that's been going on in my life I haven't had a whole lot of time. Still, it's a really nice language.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'm not saying don't do it, just that it isn't for everyone. Give it a try an see it if works for you.

Latest posts

Back