Helpppp. Dead (?) 06 impreza

abigailfisk76

I'm gonna have to get a loan to fix anything on it, so it's very tempting to do the swap, or try and sell it as is and buy something else

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah m&a are decent but you will pay top dollar there. Hopefully you get out of it without getting too far in debt.

Visonik

I know your pain! getting something used, whether it be car or motor would be scary, since you don't know how it's been treated.

But, may i suggest....

http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/topic/16033-built-bugeye-partout/

Only because it'd be ridiculous, in a good way.

or, on the cheaper end....

http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/topic/16057-sti-hybrid-w-stg-2-cams-etc-ss-headers-powdercoated-intake-mani-kevlar-timing-belt/

But also on the riskier end, since he's never even had it run.

If you wanted to play it safe and just fix your motor, I got a brand new block from subaru for $2300, and the kid at the dealership told me that no matter what block you get, the price is the same. (He was trying to talk me into an STi block)

Good luck with all of this!

abigailfisk76

I know your pain! getting something used, whether it be car or motor would be scary, since you don't know how it's been treated.

But, may i suggest....

http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/topic/16033-built-bugeye-partout/

Only because it'd be ridiculous, in a good way.

or, on the cheaper end....

http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/topic/16057-sti-hybrid-w-stg-2-cams-etc-ss-headers-powdercoated-intake-mani-kevlar-timing-belt/

But also on the riskier end, since he's never even had it run.

If you wanted to play it safe and just fix your motor, I got a brand new block from subaru for $2300, and the kid at the dealership told me that no matter what block you get, the price is the same. (He was trying to talk me into an STi block)

Good luck with all of this!
Thank you!!!!

i-wagon

Any na block should be the same, turbo cars have different pistons= less compression with n/a setup

05RSKID

Idk if it would work or not with 06 heads but find a cheap 2.2l and just swap on your heads. Most 2.5 are around 1400+ from a junk yard but I'm picking up a 2.2 for $300 to put in the 02

Last edited:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
if you plan to keep the car, go ahead and do the new longblock.

if you really want a different car, drop in a used motor, drive a while and then sell it on and get what you really want.

resale with a new longblock is not going to be that much higher to "pay for" the new motor job.

IBratmanI

From evergreen $2100 for the short block and $6100 for a long block
Definitely no need for a long block. And what are your intentions with this car? Are you going to drive it forever? Or are you planning on getting something else somewhat soon? If you plan on keeping it, I can see springing for the new short block. If not, get a good used motor and put it in. That's A LOT of money to be dumping into a regular Impreza. They are already going to rape you on labor for the install.

abigailfisk76

Definitely no need for a long block. And what are your intentions with this car? Are you going to drive it forever? Or are you planning on getting something else somewhat soon? If you plan on keeping it, I can see springing for the new short block. If not, get a good used motor and put it in. That's A LOT of money to be dumping into a regular Impreza. They are already going to rape you on labor for the install.
I plan to drive it as Long as I can. And a brand new block is only $300 more than one with 97k on it

Last edited by a moderator:

skipow

i feel like $1800 is still stupid expensive for a used motor.

theres gotta be a ton of your type of motors sitting in some junkyards nearby, most come with a warranty. i wouldnt pay to have a brand new block put in, you'll never recoup that cost.

05RSKID

I called around today for a customer that just lost his motor and got lucky and found one for 1100 with only 89k and a few around 1400.

I would find the lowest mileage used engine I can and put that in. Should cost around $1000 for an engine from a junkyard plus a few hours labor to swap it out, it's not a big or hard job to change a subaru engine. If you are smart about it you can get out of it spending in the range of $1500-1700 I think.

It really doesn't make any financial sense to spend thousands of dollars for a brand new engine on a 13 year old car that is nothing special and only worth a couple thousand itself

SUBARUDE

Car-parts.com is a great place to start no need to call around to no end

IBratmanI

I plan to drive it as Long as I can. And a brand new block is only $300 more than one with 97k on it
Like the others have said as well, if you're getting charged that much even for a used block, you are already getting raped. Shop around, and don't listen to just the shop doing the work. Don't allow yourself to be taken advantage of!

Latest posts

Back